XP Home: The Product Id you entered is not valid RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install Windows XP Home Edition to a formatted hard disk.

The Windows XP Home Edition CD is Genuine, as it was bought from some store (Walmart I think) and was confirmed as Genuine through internet. It has been installed previously on another hard disk  (which is damaged, that's why installing in a formatted hard disk) and worked perfectly. It has the Product Key on the back of the folder in which the CD came. The Windows XP Home Edition CD is the 2002 Version.

Now, when installing the CD, on the Your Product Key page of installation,  I enter exactly the Product Key the CD came with. But it popups the error The Product Id you entered is not valid.

I can't even install it on a VM for testing purposes.

How can this be possible, if it has been used before (last known installation around summer 2009 approximately; all installation of this CD have been made on the same PC) and worked well?

Could it be that the keys for certain versions expired after some years (6 years in this case)?

How can I solve this problem and have the installation completed?

Thank you for the help can be given.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:05 PM

Answers

• The CD have nothing that says "Upgrade" in the hologram, so that means it is a retail disc.

No, there are two types of consumer versions of Windows OEM and Retail

OEM either comes pre-installed in a PC and have the words "For distribution with a new PC only..." printed on it. There are no Upgrade version of OEM software. (OEM software can also be bought standalone but it does not come in a fancy retail box).

Retail comes in the fancy box sold in a store. Retail software may come in Full or Upgrade versions. You have already said that the disk you used has "For distribution with a new PC only..." printed on it. Therefore we know it is an OEM disk Not a retail disk.

But how is it that I have used that key with that CD before and installed smoothly, and now it doesn't accept it?

If you are using a Retail key in OEM software then it was not designed to work that way. If it did work at some point, I do not know why.

Ultimatly, the problem is that you have a Product Key that isn't accepted in the typoe of software you are installing. You can't post the Product key on the Forum (because if would be stolen) so I can not truly tell what type of key it is. So I can't tell you what type of software is required.

I recommend contacting support at one of the below URLs. This way you can tell support the full Product key (without posting it on a public forum) and support can then check the key and tell you what type of software is required to use that key.

North America: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_genadv_master?ws=support&ws=support#tab4

Outside North America:
    http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support#tab0

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:40 PM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:40 PM

All replies

• Hello RDP9,

On your CD, does it have "For distribution with a new PC only.  For product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC." written in the hologram in the upper left quadrant?

Does the CD have any mention of Volume Licensing anywhere on the label?

On the disc, navigate to the \386 folder and then to the setupp.ini file.  This is a small text file with two sections.  Post the second (Pid=) section.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:12 PM
  • Yes, it says "For distribution with a new PC only. For product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC." as you say.

I don't see any mention of Volume Licensing on the label. Maybe this could be (what is written on the label besides the PK): 99994-706-546-656. If that's not what you mean, then I don't know what it is.

Here the Pid section: Pid=76477OEM

Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Hello RDP9,

The disc you describe is a systembuilder/OEM disc, which will only accept a product key from a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA), which is typically affixed to the computer's case, or on the bottom or inside the battery compartment (if a laptop).

The product key you are using is either a full retail or upgrade retail product key, which are on yellow-orange Proof of License labels on the back of the heavy paperboard folder that comes inside the nice pretty retail package.

To get this to work, you have to match the product key with the right disc.  So to use the product key from the yellow-orange proof of license label, you need the disc that came in the retail package.  (The systembuilder/OEM disc you have been using did not come in the retail package.)  There are two kinds of retail----full retail (the box says something like "For computers with Windows 95 or without an operating system") or upgrade retail (the box says "upgrade").  The upgrade retail disc has "Upgrade" in the hologram....IIRC the full retail disc doesn't have anything on it that says "full retail."

That oughta clear things up! :-)

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:55 PM
  • The CD have nothing that says "Upgrade" in the hologram, so that means it is a retail disc.

Now I am clear about it.

But how is it that I have used that key with that CD before and installed smoothly, and now it doesn't accept it?

Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:17 PM

No, there are two types of consumer versions of Windows OEM and Retail

OEM either comes pre-installed in a PC and have the words "For distribution with a new PC only..." printed on it. There are no Upgrade version of OEM software. (OEM software can also be bought standalone but it does not come in a fancy retail box).

Retail comes in the fancy box sold in a store. Retail software may come in Full or Upgrade versions. You have already said that the disk you used has "For distribution with a new PC only..." printed on it. Therefore we know it is an OEM disk Not a retail disk.

If you are using a Retail key in OEM software then it was not designed to work that way. If it did work at some point, I do not know why.

Ultimatly, the problem is that you have a Product Key that isn't accepted in the typoe of software you are installing. You can't post the Product key on the Forum (because if would be stolen) so I can not truly tell what type of key it is. So I can't tell you what type of software is required.

I recommend contacting support at one of the below URLs. This way you can tell support the full Product key (without posting it on a public forum) and support can then check the key and tell you what type of software is required to use that key.

North America: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_genadv_master?ws=support&ws=support#tab4

Outside North America:
    http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support#tab0

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:40 PM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:40 PM
  • you should not mark an answer as the answer to the question. you never know if the doubt was answered.

>.<

Friday, August 27, 2010 11:36 PM