Windows Search 4.0 disk full on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Power Pack 3 includes, Windows Search 4.0, which is great. By default, Windows Search 4.0 is configured to index the shares, which is also great. Since I have about 1.5TB of served files however, the 20GB WHS system partitition quickly filled, causing radom errors until I figured out what was going on. The .EDB file alone was nearly 5GB, and the whole of ...\Microsoft\Application Data\Search\... took up almost 9GB, or about half of the partition.

Because Windows Search 4.0 is installed as part of an update, when I uninstalled it, it seems to have uninstalled PP3. I don't see a way to configure Windows Search to store its indexes on one of the shares.

Is my best solution to reinstall PP3 and configure Windows Search 4.0 not to index the shares?
    Monday, March 8, 2010 12:35 PM

All replies

• If you have a lot of photos or files with exended information in them Windows Search will store this information in the search database.  The more files you have the larger the search index. 

The disk space in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows should only be taken up mostly by the Windows.edb file if you have other large files (tmp.edb etc) then perhaps something has gone wrong with your previous indexing and maybe it won't happen again with a reinstall.

The location of the database is in a registry key but I would not recommend changing this entry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\Databases\Windows

Probably you best bet is to optimise the settings in Windows Search 4.0 to avoid the files that may take up space for the database but you may not wish to search for.

--
    Monday, March 8, 2010 3:03 PM
  • The location can also be changed in the GUI:
    Logon to the desktop.
    Open the Search Window.
    In the upper right area click the small triangle for changing the symbol style and select Search Options.
    Click the Advanced button to go on.
    Here you can select a new location for the index, which could be on a separate disk or in a folder manually created in D:\, which is not managed by WHS.
    After restarting the Windows Search service the index should be recreated there.
    (Menus free translated from German WHS, so may be slightly different named.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, March 8, 2010 9:28 PM