Bad Block Errors on one Disk - How do I know which Disk? RRS feed

• Question

• It seems as if I have a bad or failing disk in my WHS storage pool.  I have 18 HDD in the pool and a system drive.  Disk management and server storage on the control panel both report all the disks as healthy.  When I view the event log for the system I see multiple errors labeled as event: code 7 source:  disk "The device, \Device\Harddisk 1, has a bad block. 

When I view the event log for the homeserver I see that I am getting IO errors from the backup file folder on d: \folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} Data Error (cyclic redundancy check).  These events are followed by the backup failing.  I have run chkdsk /f which ran for at least 8 hours before finishing and re-booting but I am still getting the errors.  I presume that this means that the disk is going bad and I should replace it....OK No problem so far but when I look at disk management I see disk 1 which I can remove from the pool so that I can pull it and put in new drive my problem is that I don't know how to identify which drive to pull from the WHS box?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:08 PM

Answers

• You can safely disconnect each drive to figure out which it is. WHS will complain of the missing disk, but it will not do anything about it (part of the removal process being manual, rather than automatic)
    • Marked as answer by HTPCat Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:39 PM

All replies

• The disk management Add-In and also WHS Smart can identify the serial number of the disks - which should match a sticker on the disk.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:48 PM
  • When I look at the details of the drive in disk management it shows the serial number as "Unknown"  on all of my drives.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:34 PM
  • You can safely disconnect each drive to figure out which it is. WHS will complain of the missing disk, but it will not do anything about it (part of the removal process being manual, rather than automatic)
    • Marked as answer by HTPCat Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:39 PM
  • OK so I can simply turn off server and unplug the one I think it is and turn back on and if I guessed right all will be fine (I am in the process of removing the drive from the pool right now).  If I guessed wrong it will simply complain that I am missing a disk but create any new problems.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:17 AM
  • That's correct.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 1:42 AM
  • Please try running chkdsk on ALL drives / partitions on your server as described in the FAQ post How to check all the drives in your server for errors.
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:44 AM