none
Uploading offline data - what is the preferred method? RRS feed

• Question

• I am thinking about creating an offline app. For deployment and maintainence reasons I don't want to have my users using SQL Express. I am thinking we can save the data as an XML file which more or less maps to the database schema.

The users will be able to connect to the internet sometimes to upload the data. They will never be able to login to our Windows network.

What's the standard solution here? Send the XML via a web service? Do we then use stored procedures to clean and insert/update this? Or is this something we can use the Sync framework for?

I've looked at some examples with Sync but they have been using Sql Express, which is not something we'd have an easy time getting going on local computers.

Any feedback and links to best practices along these lines would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Ola Amigo
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 4:57 AM

Answers

• there is no out of the box sync provider for XML so you'll have to build your own if you go that path, which means you'll have to figure out a way to do change tracking on the XML side. Cant you just use SQL Compact instead ?
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 7:59 AM

All replies

• there is no out of the box sync provider for XML so you'll have to build your own if you go that path, which means you'll have to figure out a way to do change tracking on the XML side. Cant you just use SQL Compact instead ?
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 7:59 AM
  • As June says, going with SQL Compact maybe an easier option as there are supported providers for SQL Compact out of the box.
    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, February 8, 2010 12:07 AM
  • Thanks June and Mahesh! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to check out SQL Compact. I may look into custom XML provider as well but that doesn't sound like the road we're going to go down.

Cheers.

Ola Amigo
    Monday, February 8, 2010 4:53 PM