Recommended IDE drive controllers? What do you use? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know what type of drive controllers people are using to control these multiple drive systems.  Do you have to install separate drivers for each controller?

My WHS was working fine but recently starting freezing up this weekend. To make a long story short, it was the Promise onboard controller driver that was causing the system to lockup. I had reseated the CPU, changed the drive cables, reseated all the cards. The only way I figured out it was the onboard controller was when I reinstalled the system. Everytime I tried started transfer files off the DATA drive to the shared folders, it would freeze the system after a short time of tranferring.  It seemed to work weeks without any issues. It all started when I started getting a GlobalCluster.4096.dat error when running backups on some machines. Later on the system refused to boot up.

It would be nice to have a few controllers that simply work without having to install any drivers.  Can anyone point me to maybe some online controllers they purchased that are inexpensive yet do a the job?

One other question about Seagate harddrives. I have two 400gb drives. What is the trick to getting two of them to work on the same IDE controller?  I cannot get them to work by doing the master and slave jumpers. Using Cable Select on both drives and putting the master on the end of the cable does not seem to work either.

Thanks,

Todd

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:39 PM

Answers

• I recently purchased this card for my WHS: http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0248303

SIIG
    UltraATA 133 PCI

SKU: 224832
    Mfr Part #: SC-PE4B12-S4
    UPC: 662774025605

$49.99

I had already loaded up three drives on my IDE controller on the MB.  Then installed the SIIG Controller Card.  WHS found the drivers online and installed.  Turned off computer and installed my IDE hdd to the new controller and started the computer.  Everything seems to work now.  Currently I have 6 IDE HDD's and 1 IDE CD-Burner.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:27 PM

All replies

• I recently purchased this card for my WHS: http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0248303

SIIG
    UltraATA 133 PCI

SKU: 224832
    Mfr Part #: SC-PE4B12-S4
    UPC: 662774025605

$49.99

I had already loaded up three drives on my IDE controller on the MB.  Then installed the SIIG Controller Card.  WHS found the drivers online and installed.  Turned off computer and installed my IDE hdd to the new controller and started the computer.  Everything seems to work now.  Currently I have 6 IDE HDD's and 1 IDE CD-Burner.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:27 PM
  • I have this controller also.  Firmware on mine only supports up to 500GB and system will not boot with larger drive(s) attached.  For some reason, updating to newer firmware fails.  Otherwise, controller works good and can attach up to 4 pata drives.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:04 PM
  • I found this one on Newegg.com for $14.99 + $4.99 shipping.  It says it will support Server 2003. 

Rosewill RC-208 PCI IDE (ATA) Silicon Image Host Controller un-RAID Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132005

I am not that familiar with Rosewill products but seems to have pretty good reviews.  Anyone tried this one or one by this manufacturer? And I assume you can add a few of these cards to the same motherboard?

After all this issues I had with the drivers for my motherboard, I want to make sure I get something that works that is a decent price.

Thank You,

Todd

Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:47 AM
  • Hey Todd,

I bought this card a week ago to enable my old ECS mobo handle another 4 IDE drives....prior to putting this card in I have WHS running very stable for a couple of weeks. I also bought Rosewell Gig Ethernet Card (Realtek) chip. Both were installed together in the system. A day or two after the install, I was (and am still in) in the valley BSOD. I have had random WHS freezes. I have had BSOD with Hardware failed messages. Am currently in the process of debugging by elimination. The frustrating part is now I have to remove each of the 4 disks on the new controller individually by following WHS remove disk guidelines and almost always the remove disk (which takes a frustraing amount of time 4-5 hours, why does it take this much time, MS?) crashes and I ahve to restrart the process....Have managed to remove remove 2 disks in the last 3 days...Still getting, WHS freeze-ups....

Having said that, I do not know if it is the combination of my antiquated-cheap hardware which maybe causing the problems. The Rosewell card gets rave-reviews on NewEgg and has been time-tested...I would love to know if anyone else has tried and managed to make it work and if so did they do anything special with the driver installation.

Also, if anyone has had any expereince with the Rosewell GigE card (Realtek) chipset causing issues with freeze-ups?

Friday, January 25, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Seth,

I can understand your frustration.  I thought my system was up and running fine.  I had one drive on each of the two IDE controllers and put one on the Promise onboard board controller.  It ran fine for weeks. I decided to add another 400gb Seagate drive. When I was backing up all the computers in the house the system just starting freezing on that last two computer backups.  

I did not figure out what was causing the crashing until I reinstalled the system drive and was trying to transfer the data back onto the system drive without adding it back to the drive pool.  The Promise drive installed fine and was recognized but as soon as I started tranferring data from it, it crashed the system everytime. I think the reason it worked before it because it was not under any load.  I figured the data must have duplicated to the two drives and started using the 3rd drive on the Promise controller for the backups.

So now I am just running three harddrives from the two IDE controllers on the motherboard.  I have the 4th 400gb Seagage but cannot figure out how to get the two Seagates to work together.  I get some weird Bios message that says something about the drive is bad on startup.

I have a SIL0680 rev e raid card I could not get to work either. I was running it as a non-raid but WHS would not recognize the drives. I could not get them setup correct with any of the drivers.

After all the issues I had with the onboard Promise controller and that SIL0680 controller, I am hesistant to try anything else.  This is why I had asked if anyone had a working setup where I did not have to mess with drivers. :-)

Todd

Friday, January 25, 2008 11:42 PM
  • I'm using a Promise SX4000 controller card.

It's a hardware raid card that I used previously, and is rock solid. Supports 4 PATA drives, each drive on its own channel. Setup as a JBOD, and WHS recognizes each drive independently. Drivers do need to be installed, but this is an older card so drivers have been stable in Windows 2003 for quite a while.

Overkill for a WHS since it's a hardware raid card, but it's just something I had in my stack of computer parts.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 4:33 AM
  • jauto98,

I went with the SIIG UltraATA 133 PCI controller you recommended.  The drivers installed automatically by WHS online exactly as you said.

I also liked the fact that I was able to add my DVD drive to the same SIIG controller and set the bios to boot from that drive.

I ended up buying a new case to add more drives in the future.  MicroCenter has the Cooler Master CM 690 ATX Mid Tower for $39.99 for sale after rebates: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0265143.  I could not pass it up.  It has 5 internal 3.5" bays and 5 external 5.25" bays. I installed the DVD Rom to the top bay and removable drive bays to the other 4.

Thank you to all the responded.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 11:09 PM