Time required for incremental backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully backed up a couple of PCs to WHS, one of which contains 700Gb so ran overnight and then some.  The next night I was expecting it to take a very short time to perform an incremental backup but it appears from the speed it's going at that it's trying to back up the whole lot once again.  I can't find a setting anywhere that might cause this behaviour.  Anyone any ideas?
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 12:25 AM

All replies

• Is the second backup over wireless or wired? Assuming that your data has not changed, it should not take more than a few minutes (5 or so).
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 6:10 PM
  • The PC is wired with Cat5 cable to a Netgear switch.  The frustrating thing is that there is very little information provided by WHS as to what it's doing - no progress information, data volumes or anything that might assist in identifying what's wrong.  The console says that the backup is 'Complete' but if I look at the detail it's been 4 days since it completed a backup. Since then three have failed (decribed as 'the backup server failed' - not exactly descriptive).  The last one that failed took over 8 hours to back up less than 300Gb before bombing out.  Very disappointing.  The only thing I can find that is obviously wrong are literally hundreds of DEMigrator.exe errors in the system log.
    Thursday, May 3, 2007 6:57 PM
  • The server and/or client event logs should have details as to why the backup is failing. Nevertheless there are two things that are of concern:

1. Console shows backup as complete where as the details show failed. This is a bug and must be fixed. Please file connect bug with TalQ logs from server and client.

2. "hundreds of DEMigrator errors". THis needs to be investigated too.

Please do file both in connect with the logs attached so that we can take a look as soon as possible. THank you.

Thursday, May 3, 2007 7:11 PM
  • OK, I've sent the TalQ logs from server and client (CAB341857276 and CAB341856252 respectively).  However, the backup time problem seems to have resolved itself - incremental backups are now taking around 30mins for the machine with 700Gb on it and much less for the others which seems reasonable.  Which is odd because I haven't changed anything.

The DEMigrator errors on the server continue though but are presumably unrelated.

Thanks

Sunday, May 6, 2007 10:00 AM