WHS and Virtual Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am going to set up a new server as a Virtual Server host.  On this Virtual Server host, I'm going to create a number of virtual machines for software development (for example, separate virtual machines for every client).  I then plan to access these virtual machines, both from other machines within my home network, and remotely via the Internet.

I would also like to have a home server.  So my question is, can I install Virtual Server on a Windows Home Server?  Would there be any issues with doing this?  Where can I find the capabilities in Windows 2003 that are missing in Home Server?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 10:47 PM

Answers

• Joe, you can install Virtual Server on WHS, but using it is almost certainly going to be a violation of the EULA for WHS. The issues will mostly revolve around that and the fact that WHS requires complete control of the hardware made available to it. So for example you won't have an easy way to store the multiple VMs without adding a drive to the server but not the storage pool. You may find that WHS processes that need to run regularly will impact performance across the board. Et cetera.

As for the capabilities that are missing, well, take a look at your current WHS installation. Anything that Microsoft didn't turn on is "missing" (though it's all there on the installation media).
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007 2:36 AM

All replies

• Joe, you can install Virtual Server on WHS, but using it is almost certainly going to be a violation of the EULA for WHS. The issues will mostly revolve around that and the fact that WHS requires complete control of the hardware made available to it. So for example you won't have an easy way to store the multiple VMs without adding a drive to the server but not the storage pool. You may find that WHS processes that need to run regularly will impact performance across the board. Et cetera.

As for the capabilities that are missing, well, take a look at your current WHS installation. Anything that Microsoft didn't turn on is "missing" (though it's all there on the installation media).
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007 2:36 AM
  • Joe,

Also, even though the 'missing' items could well be added or turned on, Microsoft has said and people on here have found that some of these missing items WILL break your working version of WHS.

Colin

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:51 PM
  •  

Joe - did you ever get Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 successfully up and running on your WHS machine?

Kurtis

Sunday, February 24, 2008 5:18 AM
  • Given the feedback, I never even pursued it.  I have a separate machine running VMs.  Good luck if you try it out.

Joe
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 12:44 PM
  • I can confirm that VMWare is running quite happily on my WHS box. I've got a separate 80GB Hard drive to store the VM images on so that they're not on the storage pool.

Not found any problems, and VM Ware is well-behaved enough to do a clean shutdown of the Linux server I'm running in VM before rebooting, and then starting it back up again on boot!

Sunday, February 24, 2008 4:48 PM
  • I just converted my linux box to a WHS box with the hope of re-upping the linux server in a VM. It's encouraging to hear that you got VMware working. I'm hoping I can get that route working for me too.
    Saturday, March 1, 2008 10:36 PM
  • What about virtualising WHS (i.e. the other way around to Joe's idea)? Create a virtual WHS running on a Windows Server box? With a set of drives available just for the WHS installation....would this work?

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:03 AM