Disk space issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've got WHS installed on a spare machine, Celeron 1,7GHz, 512MB 2 x 250GB IDE disks.

I've copied over about 19GB of music from my main PC and enabled folder duplication for this folder.

In total, including the music and a videos folder, also with duplication turned on, I have about 110GB of data on the home server.

I'm now getting "failing" for the status of the music folder. The only thing I've changed in the last day or two is point Zune on my main PC to this folder to be included in it's library.

Storage allocation indicates a total of 465GB capacity, 234GB Free.

The breakdown is 111GB Shared Folders, 104GB Duplication, 5.76 PC Backups, 10GB OS and 234 Free.

Under network health, I get the message that duplication is failing, but If I click details, nothing happens.

What is causing this? Is there really a problem? How do I fix it? How can I get 'under the hood' to see what's going on with drive extender? There's nothing showing up in the event logs on the server.

Thanks.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:42 PM

Answers

• Just to be clear... you are copying all your stuff to \\server\share and not \\server\d$ or the D:\ drive on the server correct?

The drive expander service gets all confused if your not copying to \\server\share and can't correctly manage the share replication.

If that is not the case and you are copying to \\server\share (even from the server itself) make sure the "Windows Home Server Storage service" is running.

Monday, March 12, 2007 2:45 AM

All replies

• It sounds like drive extender isn't migrating the data from your primary HD to the secondary fast enough. Make sure the drive extender migrator service is enabled on your machine.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 10:49 PM
  • Hi

I have a similar issue, with 200GB of free space in the data pool, yet Data (D) is full. WHS has stopped saving data.

How can I check drive extender is enabled and or turn it on?

Sunday, March 11, 2007 11:32 PM
  • Just to be clear... you are copying all your stuff to \\server\share and not \\server\d$ or the D:\ drive on the server correct?

The drive expander service gets all confused if your not copying to \\server\share and can't correctly manage the share replication.

If that is not the case and you are copying to \\server\share (even from the server itself) make sure the "Windows Home Server Storage service" is running.

Monday, March 12, 2007 2:45 AM