Popup accusation of counterfeit Microsoft Security Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• I had to restart my computer because it was acting rather slow, and when I started the computer back up I got a pop up stating Windows will leave my computer unless I can validate that my system is not counterfeit. So I click the link and it opened in IE and when I clicked install the first time IE wouldn't let me open the page or download the content because it was under risk and not safe. Then I tried to do it once more and now it just keeps restoring my homepage tab. I tried to also do this in Firefox and it wouldn't let me, but it got me a step further then IE did with a message saying: he validation process cannot continue because your web browser is not configured to run the script required by the validation process. To extend the functionality of a Mozilla-based Web browser, you can download the required plug-in and continue with the validation. How am I supposed to validate my software for windows on IE if IE won't let me? And any possible reasons why this is happening all of a sudden? If anyone can help me I would really appreciate step by step instructions. Thank you! 

Also, I ran MSE with a count of 25 risks that were fixed, then to be safe I ran my Norton and when the scan ended it was left with 45 risks that were fixed. Anything odd about that or no? It's never had that high of a risk count before.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 9:18 PM

Answers

• Hello DLeah,

Using IE, go to http://microsoft.com/genuine/diag and click the Start Diagnostic button.  This will ensure IE and Windows are configured to allow Validation.  If anything is found amiss, it will either offer to fix it automatically or give manual steps that can be followed.

Once you get all green checkmarks, click the Validate Windows button.  You should now be able to Validate without issue.

Thanks,

Darin MS
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:00 PM

All replies

• I had to restart my computer because it was acting rather slow, and when I started the computer back up I got a pop up stating Windows will leave my computer unless I can validate that my system is not counterfeit. So I click the link and it opened in IE and when I clicked install the first time IE wouldn't let me open the page or download the content because it was under risk and not safe. Then I tried to do it once more and now it just keeps restoring my homepage tab. I tried to also do this in Firefox and it wouldn't let me, but it got me a step further then IE did with a message saying: he validation process cannot continue because your web browser is not configured to run the script required by the validation process. To extend the functionality of a Mozilla-based Web browser, you can download the required plug-in and continue with the validation. How am I supposed to validate my software for windows on IE if IE won't let me? And any possible reasons why this is happening all of a sudden? If anyone can help me I would really appreciate step by step instructions. Thank you! 

Also, I ran MSE with a count of 25 risks that were fixed, then to be safe I ran my Norton and when the scan ended it was left with 45 risks that were fixed. Anything odd about that or no? It's never had that high of a risk count before.

You have both MSE and Norton installed? why? Don't you leave one running in the background for real-time protection?
    "a pop up stating Windows will leave my computer unless I can validate that my system is not counterfeit" - no Windows Not Genuine message states that - are the the EXACT words used?
    Try disabling briefly the Norton firewall - it is probably blocking the Windows Validation process.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 10:00 PM
  • Hello DLeah,

Using IE, go to http://microsoft.com/genuine/diag and click the Start Diagnostic button.  This will ensure IE and Windows are configured to allow Validation.  If anything is found amiss, it will either offer to fix it automatically or give manual steps that can be followed.

Once you get all green checkmarks, click the Validate Windows button.  You should now be able to Validate without issue.

Thanks,

Darin MS
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:00 PM