Automatic rebooting after update: a question RRS feed

• Question

• This morning, when I woke up, there was a balloon telling me that OneCare had undergone a major update which required the restarting of my computer.  Okie dokie, except that I had a program running -- BitTorrent was downloading something for me -- and since I don't have BitTorrent set to load at startup, a download which should have completed during the night, did not.

I have no problem with Automatic Update restarting my computer provided no programs are running; but, if a program is running, shouldn't OneCare wait for a command from me before shutting down my computer?

Just a thought. 

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:02 PM

Answers

• You would think so....

I *hate* the way OneCare updates.

If you are not at the PC, and a OneCare update that requires a restart of the services and a reboot comes down, OneCare will shut itself down, throw up a warning dialog and start a countdown (I think it is 8 hours, maybe 6...) to reboot.

During this time, the network is in lockdown, so any programs needing Internet access will probably fail except for things like email and web browsing, as long as these are recognized programs.

Then it reboots.

I often wonder (and regularly complain about) why it can't use the status warning to inform the user that an update needs to be applied. Let's go through the steps:

1. OneCare finds an update for itself that needs to be installed - program update....

2. OneCare downloads and stages the update

3. OneCare changes status to Yellow/At Risk and throws a dialog to suggest that you install the upgrade, which will require a reboot.

4. Start a timer.

5. If you don't respond to the yellow status in x hours (12?) set the status to red and continue counting down.

6. If you don't respond to the red status in x hours (another 12?) proceed to automatic install and reboot immediately.

That's my opinion. ;-)

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:13 PM

All replies

• You would think so....

I *hate* the way OneCare updates.

If you are not at the PC, and a OneCare update that requires a restart of the services and a reboot comes down, OneCare will shut itself down, throw up a warning dialog and start a countdown (I think it is 8 hours, maybe 6...) to reboot.

During this time, the network is in lockdown, so any programs needing Internet access will probably fail except for things like email and web browsing, as long as these are recognized programs.

Then it reboots.

I often wonder (and regularly complain about) why it can't use the status warning to inform the user that an update needs to be applied. Let's go through the steps:

1. OneCare finds an update for itself that needs to be installed - program update....

3. OneCare changes status to Yellow/At Risk and throws a dialog to suggest that you install the upgrade, which will require a reboot.

4. Start a timer.

5. If you don't respond to the yellow status in x hours (12?) set the status to red and continue counting down.

6. If you don't respond to the red status in x hours (another 12?) proceed to automatic install and reboot immediately.

That's my opinion. ;-)

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:13 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

4. Start a timer.

That's my opinion. ;-)

Obviously, the programing team is concerned that the updates are received and installed; and, since I'm not a programer, I can't tell how complicated these things need to be.  I was thinking along the lines of downloading the update, then throwing up a dialog box explaining: "OneCare has downloaded important updates which will be installed the next time you restart your computer.  Click here to reboot now - Click here to continue working and reboot later."  Until the reboot, OneCare just continues working with the version prior to the update.

I'm sure this is impossible for some reason I will never understand. 

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Obviously, the programing team is concerned that the updates are received and installed; and, since I'm not a programer, I can't tell how complicated these things need to be.  I was thinking along the lines of downloading the update, then throwing up a dialog box explaining: "OneCare has downloaded important updates which will be installed the next time you restart your computer.  Click here to reboot now - Click here to continue working and reboot later."  Until the reboot, OneCare just continues working with the version prior to the update.

I'm sure this is impossible for some reason I will never understand.

Well, that's much simpler than my solution. :-)

I can't say it is impossible, but what's to prevent a user from delaying the reboot for as long as possible - perhaps weeks - and thereby potentially missing out on the enhanced protection offered by the update? That's the theory with the immediate install - protect us from ourselves.

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:53 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:
    but what's to prevent a user from delaying the reboot for as long as possible - perhaps weeks - and thereby potentially missing out on the enhanced protection offered by the update?

Well, I suppose nothing; but do I really need a program to protect me from myself?  I typically reboot my computer every couple of days at the least just to free up resources that aren't recovered when I close certain programs.  Maybe there are some people out there who leave the thing running for weeks without ever rebooting; but should the focus of the program be to protect us from outselves?

I guess it's a philosophical question.  OneCare was designed to be a program for the computer illiterate: "Here, install this and just let us worry about everything."  Remember how long it took us to get even the simplist of user-defined settings, like file and folder exclusions for the virus scan?  And I'll bet there are still some die-hard originalists on the programing team who are smarting over that one, convinced that the program should be designed for the lowest common denominator among us.

On the other hand, I remember discussions here way back when -- when OneCare was still in beta -- about how we didn't want to suffer the fate of other programs like Norton which became so overburdened with options and enhancements that the program became unusable to most people, including me.

I guess if push came to shove, I'd side with keeping it idiot-proof, since that's really what distinguishes it from other products out there . . . unless we were to go with a Normal Mode vs. Advanced Mode type setup; but then, we might be asking for more trouble as the program becomes Norton-esque with options.

Anyway, it's a minor clitch, this restarting business.  It was just anoying when I checked in the morning to see if my download was done, and my torrent client wasn't even running since the computer had been restarted during the night.  It's not like it killed my puppy or anything.  It just surprised me. 

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:13 PM
  • I "hear" you, Balt. I guess you should be happy that upon the reboot, OneCare was working, judging from the threads here about problems with the upgrade! It may have impacted a small percentage of users in the big picture, that that's still too many.

-steve

Thursday, February 14, 2008 1:43 AM
  • I have a computer that has 3 onecare configurings that says not to shut down your computer but it keeps rebooting on and on...i can't even push the start button.. i turned it off and it still keeps doing it.. any help?

Friday, February 15, 2008 6:58 PM
  •  lowerhay wrote:
    I have a computer that has 3 onecare configurings that says not to shut down your computer but it keeps rebooting on and on...i can't even push the start button.. i turned it off and it still keeps doing it.. any help?

I have no idea what you mean by "3 onecare configurings." Can you clarify?

Are you using Windows Live OneCare? http://onecare.live.com

Is the computer crashing and rebooting or is this happening when you try to shut down the PC?

-steve

Saturday, February 16, 2008 1:50 AM