Sharing Windows Media Player Database RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have three PCs in my house that connect to my WHS which stores all music files. The Windows Media Player databases on each of the three PCs is different - there are inconsistencies between them. I could manually edit and update the database on each PC but it struck me as much more efficient if I could persuade each of the PCs to share a single database stored on the WHS music folder. Is this possible and does anyone know how to set it up?

Ben

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 7:00 PM

All replies

• While I'm sure that Media Player and MCE gurus will weigh in soon, I would think your best bet is to maintain the database on one PC, then share it out to your other PCs and Extenders using WHS media streaming if possible. Failing that, streaming it from an MCE machine would be your next option.

The database itself is stored here: C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player, so you could try modifying the registry to point to a network share. I don't know whether that will actually work or not, though; you could break Media Player rather severely if the database doesn't allow for simultaneous access by multiple users, for example.
    Wednesday, October 3, 2007 10:44 PM
  • I have an XP MCE machine, a Vista MCE machine and a XP PC. I want to be able to access the same database from both Media Center boxes and the third PC and have them all access the same music files that are all stored on WHS. I could enable streaming on the WHS box but would this work from within MCE/VMC?

Ben

Thursday, October 4, 2007 5:28 PM
  • If you need to add Music from WHS to MCE 2005 or Vista Media Center, go into the Music Libaray in Media Center right click or press the info button on your MCE remote, it will give you the option to add files from another PCs including WHS, look for \\SERVER\Music then add it.

All the Music from WHS will then load into MCE with the artwork.

Thursday, October 4, 2007 5:59 PM
  • I'm not aware of a way for multiple PCs to share a single WMP database unfortunately.

What you might be able to do is designate one PC (probably the Media Center would be best if you have one) to maintain the database and schedule a script to copy the database to a WHS share accessible by the other clients.  The clients would then have a scheduled script to overwrite their local database with the current one from the WHS share.  I haven't tried this but think it would work.

In Vista the database is located at:

C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player\CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb

Thursday, October 4, 2007 7:27 PM
  • To clarify, you could (and it wouldn't hurt) have each client's WMP library

set to monitor the WHS music share, just as Richard suggested.

The disadvantage of this to the scripting method I suggested would be that the long initial database build would have to be done on each client as opposed to happening just once if copying.  Also, the databases would then inevitably fall out of synch. 

Thursday, October 4, 2007 7:40 PM
  • I copied all of my music files to my \\Server\Music\ share.  I then setup WMP on all four of my computers to not only monitor that share for new files, but also to rip files to that location.

I also had a 5th computer connected recently, and it was able to build the library of over 2500 songs (modest number by some) and it only took around 2 minutes.

Of all of these computers, so far, none have gotten out of sync.  Now, obviously, there is a delay when they are first turned on, but it resyncs quickly, and I have not had any significant interruptions.

Friday, October 5, 2007 8:24 AM