Product Key rescue RRS feed

• Question

• I  use Window 7 and my hard disk drive has just crashed.  I am trying to install another window 7 but with my former product key. Would the old product key become counterfeit? 

Note: The window 7 DVD DID NOT COME WITH THE SYSTEM.

• Edited by angel_noraa Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:09 PM
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 5:10 PM

Answers

• Please see:  How to replace Microsoft software

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:47 PM
  • "angel_noraa" wrote in message news:c96bc9f0-7f14-4cf4-850b-4f2eb0e8c989...

My fear is that the Product- key might become counterfeit if I use it with another set up disk. But from what you are saying, I can use many set up disks on one machine, with one product key, and  the  product key will still be genuine .

Please note, the product key has passed the validity test.

The Key is almost disk-agnostic .... which means that so long as you use a disk from the same Channel (OEM or Retail) as the Key, then it should work OK. The exception is where the disk and key are both BIOS-locked - a situation which normally only applies in Dell PC's.
    You can ALWAYS use a XP SP£ disk to install XP, using the Default Key - this will give you 30 days in which to convert the key to a valid one (the Default Key is not activatable) - unless your COA Key is for WP Media Center (believe me - I tried everything I could think of over the last few days to make an install of MCE valid - but after 4 reformats, the only thing that worked was using 'legitimate' disks!)

The Key requires the right installation media OEM/Retail/MCE - if you can't acquire that media then you may have severe problems activating (or even installing) XP.
    This situation has changed in later versions of Windows (thank heaven!), but for XP, it's essential/

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:29 PM

All replies

• "angel_noraa" wrote in message news:4e2e0da5-722a-47f3-852d-b0be6cc6eed5...

I  use Window 7 and my had disk drive has just crashed.  I am trying to install another window 7 but with my former product key. Would the old product key become counterfeit? 

Note: The window 7 DVD DID NOT COME WITH THE SYSTEM.

No - the disk is effectively irrelevant in the scheme of things - the Key is the important thing, and is what determines what you can do with the disks. You can use any Retail disk with a Retail Key for the same edition.

--

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Please see:  How to replace Microsoft software

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:47 PM
  • My fear is that the Product- key might become counterfeit if I use it with another set up disk. But from what you are saying, I can use many set up disks on one machine, with one product key, and  the  product key will still be genuine .

Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:50 PM
  • "angel_noraa" wrote in message news:c96bc9f0-7f14-4cf4-850b-4f2eb0e8c989...

My fear is that the Product- key might become counterfeit if I use it with another set up disk. But from what you are saying, I can use many set up disks on one machine, with one product key, and  the  product key will still be genuine .

The Key is almost disk-agnostic .... which means that so long as you use a disk from the same Channel (OEM or Retail) as the Key, then it should work OK. The exception is where the disk and key are both BIOS-locked - a situation which normally only applies in Dell PC's.
    You can ALWAYS use a XP SP£ disk to install XP, using the Default Key - this will give you 30 days in which to convert the key to a valid one (the Default Key is not activatable) - unless your COA Key is for WP Media Center (believe me - I tried everything I could think of over the last few days to make an install of MCE valid - but after 4 reformats, the only thing that worked was using 'legitimate' disks!)

The Key requires the right installation media OEM/Retail/MCE - if you can't acquire that media then you may have severe problems activating (or even installing) XP.
    This situation has changed in later versions of Windows (thank heaven!), but for XP, it's essential/

--

Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:29 PM
  • I get what you mean sir. But please, I want you to be very precise.

This is the situation at hand:

1. I have a Dell machine and I use Windows 7 operating system.

2. I don't have the original set up disk for the Windows 7 operating system.

3. The hard disk containing the Windows 7 operating system has crashed.

4. The  product key for the Windows 7 operating system is written at the base of my  machine, by the manufacturers.

5. I have registered the product key and it has passed the genuity test.

Questions :

1. Can I install a  Windows 7 operating system with a separate setup disk and use the product key that was written on the machine? (Yes or no).

2. If the answer to question one is yes, will the product key still be valid?(yes or no).

Please note:

I'm sorry for  my lengthy questions , but please be very precise.

Friday, January 14, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Please see:  How to Request Dell Backup Discs
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, January 14, 2011 6:21 PM
  • I appreciate your effort, but that is not helpful. A yes or no answer will cause both of us less stress.
    Friday, January 14, 2011 11:34 PM
  • You can use the Dell OEM Windows 7 product key with a conventional retail Windows 7 disc as long as it is the same edition (i.e. Windows 7 Home Premium product key must use a Windows 7 Home Premium installation disc).  However, product activation can only be successfully performed by phone.
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, January 14, 2011 11:44 PM
  • Thanks, that's what I want to hear. So, back to business.

Questions:

1. What is the hotline?

2. What do I need for product activation by phone?

Saturday, January 15, 2011 2:16 PM
  • You can reactivate your Windows 7 installation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Search programs and files box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation (no charge).

Carey Frisch
    Saturday, January 15, 2011 7:31 PM