Problems installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there.  I'm having a real problem installing Windows XP Service Pack 3.  I've had a look at some of the answers on this and other MS forums - but given that everyone's environment is a bit different, none seemed to exactly match mine.

Here's my problem.

I have a fairly standard PC configuration - Windows XP Home edition, an up to date and subscribed version of Norton Internet Security, no special or weird software on the computer, and I haven't done any customisations (I'm not that technical!).

For the last few months, my PC has continually and perpetually tried to download and instal SP3.  I have Automatic Updates switched on.  When I go online, it tells me I have an update.  For ages, I just clicked 'instal' - my PC would take me to the 'accept licence terms' screen, I would click 'accept', and it would instal SP3.  It would always tell me that the installation had been successful - but, next time I log on, it says 'updates are available', and it tells me I need to instal SP3!

When I use 'winver' in the Run function, it continually says I have SP2.

I've used the standard MS help page on SP3.  I've also tried all the tips on this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/950718?p=1

I've tried them all in different orders.  The one thing I haven't done is to disable my Norton Internet Security whilst online, to try the download and instal - I think that's too risky.  I have however manually downloaded the SP3 exe (WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe), as guided on the above page - and have then come off line, disabled my firewall and anti-virus, and installed.

However, no success.  I just keep getting the 'you have updates' message via automatic updates.

This is now driving me crazy - I just keep getting the same message.  It's really slowing down my computer (because obviously SP3 is quite a big package, and when you instal it, it consumes a lot of processor time).  This is driving me absolutely nuts, and is really slowing down my computing.  I must have gone through this loop literally a hundred times in the last few months.

Would be really grateful for any help here -

thanks v much

Richard.

• Moved by Whosane002 Saturday, March 27, 2010 7:29 PM (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile Feedback)
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:59 PM

All replies