Switch from MS Money RRS feed

• Question

• I have been user of MS of Money for years and I’m extremely sad of seeing it go. I’m finally facing the facts and want to move to another program.  I use 2007 Home & Business (I’m in Canada) and what will be the best one to switch to with easy data import from MS Money?

Saturday, September 25, 2010 1:25 AM

All replies

• Quicken (Intiut) seem to have put the most effort into it and they had help from Microsoft. (More (x infinity) than they were willing to give the user community, but that's another thread entirely.)

If Money is working for you, why do you feel compelled to change?

Saturday, September 25, 2010 8:43 PM
  • Since MS announced that Money will be discontinued, end of each year I’m thinking that it is time to switch to something current. I was initially worried that I might have problems running it under Windows 7 but it runs just fine. I’m also worried that if I wait too long, eventually Money will not run on some future version of Windows and it might be more difficult then to switch to another program.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 1:48 AM
  • Fair enough.

Unfortunately, the things that are "more current" are by most accounts in no way "better".

Many of us share your concern for what we do when Money stops working under some future version of Windows/IE. There is no way to predict when that will be. The one thing that mitigates that concern for many of us is the emergence of "virtual machine" computing where you run a "virtual computer" as an application. This virtual machine can be arbitrarily backwards and antiquated. Money Sunset seems to run fine in a WinXP virtual machine. It is reasonable to expect that a similar virtual machine will be supportable under whatever future platform for long after Money fails to operate natively. I'm hoping that can keep access to the data viable until my heirs and assigns stop caring.

But be sure and keep viable protected copies of the Money Sunset installable and/or a VM system image.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Oh, and you are probably correct in one regard: the Quicken importer for Money files is probably just about as good as it will ever get. A decision to stick with Money now probably passes up the best opportunity there will ever be to jump to Quicken.

One strategy--what I'd probably do--is to consider just starting over cold turkey in Q and leave the M data in M forever.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Money Sunset? It is a first time I hear about them, just downloade it. VM is a good point I run 7 Ultimate with XP Mode  as well as VM Workstation for some of my projects. I think that for now I'm going to stick with Money based on all the above comments.
    Monday, September 27, 2010 1:45 AM
  • Every time I read up on Quicken, I quickly decide that there is nothing better than what I'm using right now, and that's Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe Version 17.0.120.1415.  I am coming up on fifteen years of data stored in Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe, and I am furious at Microsoft for shafting the users of its financial software.  So much so that I buy as few Microsoft products as possible, and wish them bad luck in their new product rollouts.  Seems my wishing is working more often than not.  Hah hah

The best software decision I made many, many years ago was dumping Quicken for Microsoft Money.  I expect that with some luck, Microsoft Money may continue to work for me for many years, uh how about decades, until I depart Planet Earth.  I enter all of my transactions myself.  My data is priceless to me.  I just have no desire to move over to an inferior Quicken product.

Quicken would be wise to offer stock pricing updates to current Microsoft Money users in an effort to entice them to move over to Quicken at a later date.  I don't see that happening, however.  But one can always hope.

Sunday, October 17, 2010 1:10 PM
  • I've developed a similar total mistrust of microsoft for having decided to abandon money clients by turning off stock updates.

I will not be adopting their "cloud" approach to personal computing. How do I know they will not one day just suddenly turn off the servers where my data is stored?

Monday, October 18, 2010 9:04 AM