off topic - Lost Desktop Icons, Start Menu and Task Bar RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Can anyone help me with my problem? I have lost my task bar, start menu, and desktop icons. I have went thru every program out there ...even Windows OneCare Scanner. Some of the other programs such as ad-aware found huge numbers of bad files and a variety of Trojans, etc. BUT, when I did a scan with OneCare, it came up with nothing and it did not fix my problem. I am desperate to NOT re-format! I really want to find the probelm and correct it. I only have my desktop pic come up and that's it. Thankfully I can use the Task Manager to get online.

The problem must have started a good while ago when I noticed my "Calculator" was gone.  Then weeks later noticed my basic windows "GAMES" had disappeared. I have no explorer.exe... it shows in the Windows Files, however when you click on it you get an error report to send to Microsoft. Does anyone ever pay attention to those reports? Then one day I tried signing on and cam across all of the above problems.

I have thousands of pictures from my work on here and haven't been able to backup all of them yet. Please. if anyone has any suggestions please send them to me. I am DESPERATE!

Thank You in Advance,

Singingbon

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:19 PM

All replies

• You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare. You may want to try the Microsoft Public newsgroups here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx

I think that you *best* course of action, however, is to back up your important data and then format/reinstall Windows from scratch.

Alternatively, create a new UserID via Control Panel/Users and see if that User functions normally. If so, you have a corrupt profile.

-steve

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 4:39 PM