OneCare Can't Connect to Circle/Hub (combined thread) RRS feed

• Question

• One care is giving me an Urgent warning that it can't connect to other computers in my circle.

Only one other in the circle and it is happy.

Monday, August 20, 2007 2:47 PM

Answers

• Hi everyone,

We've been working hard here to try and understand the issue, and were finally able to track down (what we believe to have been) the root cause. 

To provide a high level summary--it essentially seems to have been caused by a couple of unexpected server-side issues working in conjunction, as Steve and others have mentioned.  We had a power outage here over the weekend in the buildings hosting the beta servers.  During the reinitialization when the machines came back up, there appears to have been a couple of failures, eventually leading to some of the OneCare Circle related server-side functionality being intermittently down.  We have a pretty good monitoring in place to alert us to such failures, but unfortunately in this instance there appears to have been a different (unrelated) issue at the same time, that led to these failures not getting reported as we'd have expected.

We think we've now fixed the issues at hand, and the clients should auto-fix themselves in the next few hours.   I should note that we've had a couple of learnings from this--both in terms of the actual code bug and monitoring we had in place, but also providing more status as we were debugging the reported failures.

Please let me know if you're still running into issues.  My apologies for the issues we encountered, and as always, thank you for trying out the Beta--we really do appreciate it very much!

Thanks,

Guhan

Thursday, August 30, 2007 6:49 PM

All replies

• Have you tried running both at the same time (and connected to the internet)? To test the connection drop the firewall on the non hub machine and see if you get a notification of this on the hub pc.

Monday, August 20, 2007 7:14 PM
  • I have the same problem, and this is the second time it has happened. I have two computers and both went to "At risk" status at the same time, with the "OneCare can't connect to the other PCs in your OneCare circle" message. In every other respect, these two computers are fine (access to the Internet, access to each other). What could cause this?
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 9:02 PM
  • Are both linked to the same windows live id?

Tom

Sunday, August 26, 2007 9:22 PM
  • Yes both are linked to the same Windows Live! ID (the one I created, per the beta instructions, for testing purposes). I have tried to remove the non-hub PC from the OneCare circle, but when I do it times out with "An error is preventing OneCare from performing this action". Please restart your computer and try again. If the problem still occurs, contact the Help Center". I can log in to my Windows Live! Account through Internet Explorer without any problem, from both computers.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 9:30 PM
  • I think there may be some sort of server issue as I encountered this yesterday and was unable to remove a computer from the circle, encountering the same error.

-steve

Monday, August 27, 2007 1:03 AM
  • Same problem; problem is I only have one computer connected to One Care and it's giving me an 'Urgent Connect to One Care - One Care Can't Connect to the other PC's in your OneCare Cirlcle.' Possibly an undocumented negative enhancement feature.

Mark
    Monday, August 27, 2007 5:00 AM
  • Both my circle PCs were unable to connect, so I tried rebooting them. I rebooted the hub PC first, and it was still unable to connect. I rebooted the other PC, and it came up Status: Good. It connected! But the hub says it is not connected. I have no idea what is going on here.
    Monday, August 27, 2007 1:12 PM
  • Sorry I was out of touch for a few days and didn't explain my problem very well.

The computer that WLOC couldn't connect to was a laptop on a wireless connection and turned off. When it was turned on and reconnected to the network WLOC still didn't see it. Rebooting the hub solved the problem. However if the laptop is removed from the network for more than 24 hours the problem reappears. Is there a way for WLOC to accept that one of its circle isn't there?

Monday, August 27, 2007 4:17 PM
  • I am having same/similar problem. ON initial installation everything was working fine but had problem with Norton Live Update and OneCare tech instructed me to uninstall OneCare and reinstall. After reinstalling OneCare I can't connect to the other computer correctly. I have booted the pc several times but it still won't connect to the other PC. Now I can not connect either one to the other computer.

Monday, August 27, 2007 4:58 PM
  • I'm suspecting some sort of server problem that is affecting a number of OneCare functions that use LiveID. I've sent an email to Microsoft to alert them to the posts on several topics, including this one, that have seen strange activity this past weekend.

-steve

Monday, August 27, 2007 5:47 PM
  • Thankyou Steve. My systems are 'stable', with the hub saying it can't connect to the one other computer I have in the circle, but that other computer saying it can connect to the hub. Both have been rebooted a couple of times. Everything was fine until sometime last week. Bizarre.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:33 AM
  • I have 2 PCs. The Hub PC runs Windows Vista Ultimate. Up to 4 days ago the other PC ran Windows XP SP2. One Care version 1 was removed from the XP system and v2 BETA installed. No problems. The PC was added to the One Care Circle, back up configured etc. The XP machine developed a problem and got more screwed up as I tried to resolve it. I had a disastrous result in attempting to reinstall the XP OS which effectively disabled the One Care program. It still showed up as Ok on the Vista hub, but with the date last checked remaining the same (24th August) as when I tried to repair the XP OS. Yesterday I did a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate on the former XP machine. Reinstalled the One Car v2 Beta (after a false start with the wrong Windows Live ID, uninstalled and reinstalled OC), nothing changed on the hub. It still showed condition good but with a date last checked on 24th August). The new Vista machine was oscillating between Red (can't see other PCs in the One Care circle) and Amber (back-up not configured). I changed the name of the old XP/new Vista to see if that would produce any results. None.

Today (28th August) after a reboot of the Hub PC, no change in reporting on the Hub PC, but the new Vista is now stable at Amber. However, I tried a test of disabling the firewall on the former XP machine. One Care status went red on that machine, but no change in status was flagged on the Hub PC.

I'm also having problems configuring the back-up on the former XP machine because the Hub machine won't allow me to connect to the external USB drives on the Hub machine (UAC!!!) asking me to log in, but I can't see a way to set up an account to allow access from another PC! NB. Shared access to folders seems to work both ways ok through Windows Explorer, it just seems that One-Care isn't allowed to! I realise that the back-up configuration problem is off topic here, but I thought it woul be worth mentioning just in case there was a connection. I'l put more details in the appropriate forum.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:38 AM
  • Same problem here, no PCs show up in my circle  (not even the hub that I try to view the circle from), also can't seem to save a change to the backup configuration, seems like some server problem somewhere but no word on all these issues from the OneCare team, as it seems they should be able to tell us if server issues are effecting these functionsu

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 2:18 PM
  •  

I am getting this message.

I only have one computer in the circle, Windows XP SP2.

I had it earlier, after messing around with my switch, but I rebooted and the message went away and my shield went green.

The message has come back today. I have not rebooted yet, but I suspect maybe this will fix after a reboot.

There should be a mechanizim to retest link to OneCare or clear the error. Everything else works and my machine is talking to OneCare.

Help is useless on this toppic.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:26 PM
  • Jack, based on other posts for similar issues, I believe that there is a problem server side affecting functions that use LiveID within OneCare - hub/circle being one of them and backup settings for centralized backup being another. Take a look at the backup folder regarding the latter issue. And if your problem is a simple access issue for that backup drive, please post in backup topic folder for that issue.

-steve

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:50 PM
  • I rebooted, no go still same issue, fustrating

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:34 AM
  •  

OneCare 2 on Windows XP does not connect to OneCare Circle in Vista 64 bit. I
    receive an error:

Urgent
    Connect to OneCare
    OneCare can't connect to the other PCs in your OneCare circle. To
    troubleshoot this problem, click Help.

When I click the Help the error goes away but no help pops up.

In all of my other Vista Machines with OneCare 2 they all connect to the Hub
    PC on Vista 64 bit.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 3:09 AM
  • My intial problem was that onecare was unable to update.

I ran the CaclsDeleteDB.exe tool and now i get the Unable to connect to onecare message.

I had just installed a .NET 3.0 Framework & windows media player patch.

Can't tell if this is relevant.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:23 AM
  • Have the same problem, dont know if this helps with your idea on server problems but when I perform a network trace with wireshark when onecare tries to check the 'circle' status I get an SSL error from mpc.dogfood.windowsonecare.com (207.68.156.211). The packet summary reads 192.168.51.34 207.68.156.211 TCP 58691 > https [RST, ACK] Seq=1422 Ack=5201 Win=0 [TCP CHECKSUM INCORRECT] Len=0

So dont know if its an SSL cert problem or some thing , tried https://mpc.dogfood.windowsonecare.com directly but it just prompts for a client side SSL cert.

just a thought

s 

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:57 AM
  • I have been following this thread for several days now. There seems to be a problem with the OneCare server connect.

I was having another problem and tech support had me uninstall OneCare and reinstall. That is when my problem started. Before that I had not changed anything on my PC and the OneCare 'Manage my OneCare Circle' was working fine. But not since I reinstalled the program. Even my laptop can not connect to the OneCare server. When I try to "Add a Pc to my circle" I get the instruction page from the Help and not a list of the computers on my Home network.

So at this point I am not going to worry about the 'My OneCare Circle' and use the rest of the function in OneCare. I feel sure MS OneCare team will fix eventually.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:50 AM
  •  dcmorrow wrote:
    Help is useless on this toppic.

I completely agree.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:41 PM
  • Have just uninstalled/reinstalled One Care.  Can't make my Vista computer a hub pc since the Manage Your OneCare circle button does not do anything.  Can make another computer a hub PC but it does not now see the computers in the circle  --  last sighting was 8/28 @ 7:49 p.m.

Am getting an Mfc Init Failed Error Code:  8A1201F4 but searching for this error does not turn up anything.  (Got it following latest uninstall/reinstall cycle)

OneCare circle was working perfectly until BackUp to a centralized hard drive did not work so I did an uninstall/reinstall.  Then everything sort of stopped.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:47 PM
  •  

What I meant by this,

The help button in the red field does not bring up any apropriate material.

I have gotten more "help" from the forum than from the help button and Launch Instant Support.

It seems that this problem is not an intended feature and it make take time to work this one out.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:53 PM
  • At this point should we log bugs, or does the engineering team have enough to go on?
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:59 PM
  • Yeah I got same thing...exactly.

Went back to my subscription 1.6..

The beta was OK till today ,

All I really need is the anti-virus and firewall. I use Vista's back-up and I don't have a wireless network..Heck I only have 1 'puter...lol

So I don't really know if the "new Onecare" is really for me..

Maybe when its done I'll try it again..

Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:43 AM
  • steve9365,

I know this isn't much, I have uninstalled and reinstalled 2.0 more than once and have found since this is a beta. Uninstall is not as clean as it should be for a simple uninstall/reinstall. I am sure you probably would not be in favor of the more drastic approach I use when dealing with beta software and not everyone has a backup image file to restore from. The next best thing maybe a good registry cleaner, and a system restore point. Still I can not verify this will cover all bases either.

Knightsky

Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:58 AM
  • Check the Multi-PC Management part of the forum. The current guess is that there is some kind of server side problem causing this. It does not seem to be limited to Vista 64.
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:58 AM
  • Check the Multi-PC management part of the forum. Lots of Circles are falling apart! The current guess is that this is caused by a server problem, but no official word yet, after several days for some users...
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:02 PM
  • Made my pc a hub (XP) to try and get rid of the "Urgent Action" required and I still keep getting a message that it can't see the other pc's in my one care circle even though there are no other pc's in my one care circle. Also can't find a way to delete my one care circle ( I don't really have one)

Mike
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:25 PM
  •  bananaman wrote:
    Thankyou Steve. My systems are 'stable', with the hub saying it can't connect to the one other computer I have in the circle, but that other computer saying it can connect to the hub. Both have been rebooted a couple of times. Everything was fine until sometime last week. Bizarre.

About five minutes ago the other computer dropped out of the circle, so no both the hub and it are Status: At risk.

If anyone knows what is causing this, they are keeping very quiet...
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:44 PM
  • From my limited knowledge of onecare, machines in a onecare circle are linked by a Live id. Therefore I presume that our live ids are stored on a Microsoft server somewhere?

Now at present (not wishing to tempt fate!) my circle is unaffected by this issue, so this would suggest that our live ids may not be all stored on the same server? 

So is it worth taking a quick straw poll as to where affected/unaffected circles are? As a start I'm in the UK.

Tom

Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:54 PM
  •  

Okay,

I did a reboot and my error message went away. (All Green)

So I think our problem has different sources.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 3:02 PM
  • I started having the problem when I reinstalled OneCare on my desktop computer. My laptop is ok but can not connect to the desktop computer. I can't add a PC to either of the computers. I am waiting to hear from MS before doing anything else on this issue. It is not criticle for me at this point. I am in the United States, North Carolina

Thursday, August 30, 2007 3:21 PM
  • I'm going to move this over to the topic for multi-PC management.

Yes, there are issues with circles being reported right now.

Are all of the Vista machines in your circle running Vista x64?

-steve

Thursday, August 30, 2007 4:37 PM
  • and I can now connect to my group, so I'm back to GREEN !

Thursday, August 30, 2007 4:45 PM
  •  

Thursday, August 30, 2007 4:48 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I have a combination of Vista 32 bit and 64 bit that are connecting ok to the hub PC.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 4:50 PM
  •  steve9365 wrote:

Have just uninstalled/reinstalled One Care.  Can't make my Vista computer a hub pc since the Manage Your OneCare circle button does not do anything.  Can make another computer a hub PC but it does not now see the computers in the circle  --  last sighting was 8/28 @ 7:49 p.m.

Am getting an Mfc Init Failed Error Code:  8A1201F4 but searching for this error does not turn up anything.  (Got it following latest uninstall/reinstall cycle)

OneCare circle was working perfectly until BackUp to a centralized hard drive did not work so I did an uninstall/reinstall.  Then everything sort of stopped.

Your issue may be related to whatever is going on with Circles and Centralized Backup Save that is failing for a slew of people per the activity on these topics. The problem appears to have started late last week, perhaps on 8/23 or 8/24.

However, since you mentioned a specific error code that hasn't been reported by others, I'm requesting that you file a bug on Connect -  https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

-steve

Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:14 PM
  •  ANadalin wrote:

I rebooted, no go still same issue, fustrating

Hang in there, everybody.

I know it is frustrating to not have any official word from Microsoft on this, but please remember that it is a beta and things can go wrong. I just sent an email to the OneCare team again, alerting them to this topic and another that may be related. I believe that they are already aware and investigating, but I've asked them to confirm this to set people's minds at ease.

-steve

Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:19 PM
  • mine has just jumped back to life and is now working fine, anybody else suddenly just auto-fixed?

no-reboots etc so I guess it was a server somewhere....

S

Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:21 PM
  • Hi everyone,

We've been working hard here to try and understand the issue, and were finally able to track down (what we believe to have been) the root cause. 

To provide a high level summary--it essentially seems to have been caused by a couple of unexpected server-side issues working in conjunction, as Steve and others have mentioned.  We had a power outage here over the weekend in the buildings hosting the beta servers.  During the reinitialization when the machines came back up, there appears to have been a couple of failures, eventually leading to some of the OneCare Circle related server-side functionality being intermittently down.  We have a pretty good monitoring in place to alert us to such failures, but unfortunately in this instance there appears to have been a different (unrelated) issue at the same time, that led to these failures not getting reported as we'd have expected.

We think we've now fixed the issues at hand, and the clients should auto-fix themselves in the next few hours.   I should note that we've had a couple of learnings from this--both in terms of the actual code bug and monitoring we had in place, but also providing more status as we were debugging the reported failures.

Please let me know if you're still running into issues.  My apologies for the issues we encountered, and as always, thank you for trying out the Beta--we really do appreciate it very much!

Thanks,

Guhan

Thursday, August 30, 2007 6:49 PM
  • Thanks very much for the detailed explanation, Guhan. I am glad that the experience also brought some issues to light - it *is* a beta, after all. :-)

-steve

Thursday, August 30, 2007 7:06 PM
  • Bingo! Thanks Guhan! I left my office for a few hours, and when I got back, OneCare Status: Good!
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 7:36 PM
  •  

Thank you.

I have a suggestion though.

It sounded as if the servers were not on battery backup, or on a large enough one, and not on generator.

Maybe this detail could be of use later on?

Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:35 PM