Disk Drive Changes RRS feed

• Question

• HI again,

Im wondering about changing the configuration of drives in my server.

scenario: one of 8 drives dies (two regular IDE channels and two from the built in IDE RAID controller (which isnt doing any RAID in this case) with two disks per channel. I pull the server apart, and to get to the dead drive (after figuring out which drive is which) I need to remove a drive rack from the machine, so i disconnect 4 of the drives completely. I remove the dead drive, go to the store and buy a new one. what a shame, they are out of 500gb SATA drives.. I will buy one on the weekend from that other computer retailer. So the weekend rolls around, I buy my new drive, and I install it in the server, connecting up the cables in no particular order, because frankly I have no idea which drive was on which cable.

My question is, apart from the system drive (which I assume needs to stay on the same IDE channel at all times???) is it possible to swap drives around as far as cabling goes? Does it matter if the disk that was secondary slave suddenly becomes tertiary master? assuming we are using cable select on the drives that is.

the other case where this may happen is when you have to pull out all your drives (lets say you bought four 320GB drives at the same time, same brand etc) because you have no idea which one of the drives is the dead one. you throw each drive, one at a time, into an external USB case and attach it to your main workstation to determine which drive is dead. You then reassemble the server, adding the new drive, and hoping like heck that you got the cabling right.

sorry for the long post, its just been bugging me for a few days now, as I have two identical 320gb drives, 2 identical 200gb drives, and then the various other ones

Whats the theeory and mechanisms  behind Home Servers drive failure scenario? Does it simply tell you which serial number died,and you have to pull each drive out, read the label, until you find the culprit.

If anyone else agrees, I will post a feature request to have the drives named better. even "Drive 1, Drive 2, Drive 3" would be better, so at least when you install another drive, you can simply put a label nest to it in the case, to tell you which drive it is.

cheers

Russ

Thursday, February 15, 2007 12:38 AM

Answers

• I think it's a great suggestion. 

This is a feature request that has been discussed multiple times on the Microsoft Connect site.

Friday, February 16, 2007 2:36 AM

All replies

• I just be damn*d :)

If you go into the WHS console and look at storage for a SATA drive it does show make model and Serial Number, so it will tell you which drive to remove.  Does not do this for IDE drives though.

But who would purchase a 300gb IDE drive 6 months from now?

Still......Grey

Friday, February 16, 2007 1:21 AM
  • I think it's a great suggestion. 

This is a feature request that has been discussed multiple times on the Microsoft Connect site.

Friday, February 16, 2007 2:36 AM
  • this issue is compounded WORSE if the drives are connected via USB - as we expect will be a popular 'plug and expand' way to grow your WHS.

not knowing which drive is which is really a potential nightmare - let's hope it's sorted before release date

Friday, July 13, 2007 4:26 PM
  • One easy "fix" to this might be to just add the ability to "name" the drives. Then as long as you don't add multiple identical drives at the same time, you could label them in a way that makes sense to you. At least it makes sense at the time that you do it, maybe not 3 years later.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 10:04 PM