Cheating the Live Search Engine !!? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Just a quick question about the blatant cheating of automated search engines such as Live search.

Recently I have come across a site that the Live search engine says has in excess of 6550 pages; all of which are indexed in the results.

On examination this site wraps EVERY page of their clients' websites into their website to make it appear that they have a large site.

They also use a postcode generator that displays a page on their site for EACH postcode in the entire country.

Again they have used this to inflate their site and trick the Live search engine into believing it is a large site. In addition, the postcode generator indicates to the SE's and therefore the users, that company is local to that postcode, when they aren't.

Of the 6550 pages that have been indexed, only 10 to 20 maybe relevant to the site visitor. The site of course ranks well in the Live search and in some cases in the number one position. Through these methods the site is placed above other competitors who stick to the guidelines.

I find it incredulous that Live search would rank a website in the top ten across the board, when they have cheated your engine and the public to do so. I see these practices as spam, but please let me know if they are not considered as such by MSN. If it is not then, is this what it has come to; to be ranked well you need to find a way to cheat the automated search engines?

Lordok.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 4:05 AM

Answers

• For those who have been following this thread, the answer (in part) has been supplied in Duane's thread on "landing pages."

FYI now 17,100 indexed pages.

Lordok.
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 9:06 AM

All replies

• Can you provide me with a domain name and I will look into it?

Thanks,

Brett

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 4:05 PM
  • Hi Brett,

Do I just post it here or is there an email I should send it to?

Cheers.
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 11:24 PM
  • Hi,

you can send it to my hotmail address which is my name (brett_yount) at hotmail.com.

Thanks,

Brett

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Hi Brett,

How did you go with that site? And questions mentioned in the 1st post?

Cheers,

Lordok.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:12 AM
  • Hi Brett,

There still does not seem to be any difference in the number of pages indexed on this site. Can you tell me what is Live search engines position on these practices?

Cheers,

Lordok.
    Monday, June 16, 2008 3:25 AM
  • Um...er....no reply?....still 5790 indexed pages and still ranked on the first page of results

Is what they are doing a legitimate practice?

Cheers,

Lordok
    Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:38 AM
  • Happy end of the financial year!!...lol

Present for everyone....adam_ant(without the underline)dotcomdotau

with now back up to 6300 indexed pages .....and growing

Points to look at

1. this site wraps EVERY page of their clients' websites
    into their website (under our clients, then client news)
    2. They also use a postcode generator that displays a page on their site
    for EACH postcode in the entire country. Will be interesting to see if it is country specific. (accessed through the sitemap - lower right corner)

Are these legitimate practices? Options anyone?

Monday, June 30, 2008 6:54 AM
  • Did you ever get any information about this issue?
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 8:57 PM
  • I too, have been following this thread and waiting for a reply. It's a very good question and I was hoping to see a very good answer.

Perhaps it has caused a lot of discussion in Brett's office, eh?

Monday, July 21, 2008 10:33 PM
  • Hi,

Nope, nada, zero....and zip......no reply...and no action....must be ok?...or need to make more noise!!!

MSN now indexed 7500 pages for them...and climbing.....
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:43 PM
  • Obviously there are only two people, Slarty and myself,  interested in the thread started by Lordok. Therefore. nothing will be done. Their practices are not only acceptable but rewarded. 

Obviously, guidelines aren't even close when it comes to effectiveness. Newbies need to know what works. 

Lordok, please give us some lesson cum guidelines, so we can all get 6,500 pages listed.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:49 PM
  • I think it's a Microsoft thing!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:46 PM
  • It is rather strange.....I would have thought that this post would have been of interest to those with large legitimate sites who were not being indexed fully in MSN (i.e. people who posted in this forum and were told they can not expect to have all their pages indexed, or that there was a much lower limit for indexed pages per site). Or perhaps other people who are being out ranked by less than legitimate methods. Alas, it seems not to be.

SPEAK up people!

Perhaps there is little that MSN can do (?) Perhaps these practises may fall between the cracks.

A small ....and I mean small....consolation is that the site seems to have been limited to 7500 or so indexed pages in MSN. Google is far worse with 13,300 indexed pages of theirs...and climbing.

Lordok.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:41 PM
  • Actually from what I've been reading the search engines will be indexing fewer pages, whether that means that the already established sites will remain static and new sites will be limited, is apparently in the lap of the gods. 

It seems that the whole indexing thing, guidelines, rules, regulations, acceptable practices, cheating, scamming, ad infinitum is comfortably ensconced in the same place.

Perhaps the best choice is: for each of your pages, do a first paragraph major scrutiny, metas for same, and then, like the flowers in the field, just let go.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:23 PM
  • I was mistaken...the index pages are not capped.

For those that are interested this site now has 9,730 pages indexed in the Live search engine.....and still climbing. Not bad for simple web company.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 10:05 AM
  • WOO. Missed this one. Hey, I don't think I ever got the email regarding the site in question... Post the domain name here and I will take a look ASAP!

Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Hi Brett,

I have just sent it to your MS email account.
    Good luck and may the force be with you!

Lordok.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 12:01 AM
  • BTW it is up to 11,700 now.
    Friday, August 8, 2008 6:15 AM
  • I've been following this thread as well, and am looking for a reply form the Live Search engineers.

I don't know which website we're talking about, but the practices you described seem unethical and designed strictly to outsmart the search engines, and especially to do well in location-based searches.

Friday, August 8, 2008 5:28 PM
  • Hi Duane,

Yeah, they do seem unethical, don't they. And apart from the location based searches and fooling users, the wrapping of client pages into the website would make the SEs think that the site is dynamic and adding relevant content daily, but at the end of the day it serves no use to the viewer of the website.
    Friday, August 15, 2008 2:32 AM
  • Thought this might interesting:

" There are marketers using a spamdexing technique to drive these landing pages up in a search engine's search results. They create Web pages which will be indexed by search engines in order to increase the chance of a website or page being placed close to the beginning of search engine results, or to influence the category to which the page is assigned. This practice is widely considered to be unscrupulous, because the landing pages have no useful content of their own and mislead a search engine."

so Spamdexing, hey !! I guess that would include the site in question with a couple of thousand landing pages!
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:57 PM
  • Hi Brett,

Did you get the email?

Cheers,

Lordok
    Monday, August 18, 2008 5:53 AM
  • It seems that the site in question has fallen to the middle of the 2nd page of SERPs for some keywords over the last few months, but still remain on the 1st page for others. The indexed pages remains around the 9,150 mark, with 99.76% of the pages being wrapped client content and postcode landing pages. The page in question is adamant dot com dot au.

Also another site is using the same methodology for the suburbs (i.e. a landing page for each suburb in the state) and is ranked  no.3 for web design adelaide. They do not however wrap their client pages into their own site, as the previous one does. The site  is acewebdesign dot com dot au

Can I ask again; are these legitimate practices? If not, there does not seem to be a penalty or repercussions (?)

Lordok.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 4:42 AM
  • back up to 11,300 pages.

Also Brett did you get the email sent to your microsoft email address?
    Monday, August 25, 2008 12:45 AM
  • Sorry, no I didn't could you send it again with your user name in the subject line?

Thanks,

Brett

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:58 PM
  • Hi Brett,

Sent again. Let me know if you do not get it.

Cheers,

Lordok.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:43 AM
  • Hi Brett,

Just following up - did you get the email?

Lordok.
    Monday, September 1, 2008 2:00 AM
  • Update:

12,500  indexed pages

That is 6000 extra pages since I 1st posted here (i.e. 6000 in 3 months) - or 2000 pages a month!!! Nice.

spam-spam-spam-spam
    spam-spam-spam........(Monty Python)??
    Monday, September 1, 2008 11:26 AM
  • For those who have been following this thread, the answer (in part) has been supplied in Duane's thread on "landing pages."

FYI now 17,100 indexed pages.

Lordok.
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 9:06 AM