Using a 3 TB hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I currently am using two 1 TB drives in RAID 0. I am runnning out of space so purchased a 3TB hard drive to replace the raid configuration. I understand the mobo must support UEFI bios to configure the new drive a GPT. Will WHS 2011 work on a GPT partitioned drive. I am using an AMD Sempron single core CPU. I guess there is no way to clone the RAID onto the new GPT hard drive? Thanks for any help on guiding me how to get this up and running again on the 3 TB drive. I am guessing a clean install will have to be done but if that will work I will do it. Thanks
    Friday, November 7, 2014 6:50 PM

All replies

• I would not clone but copy. It won;t take *that* long. But to answer your question, you're fine, WHS2011 will read/write to a GPT drive regardless of whether it is an UEFI system. I am assuming you do not boot from that drive as booting from a GPT drive does.

From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#gpt_faq_xp32_boot:

"Can Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems."

If you want to pool drives, I suggest looking at Stablebit DrivePool.

Saturday, November 8, 2014 8:23 AM
  • Yes I did plan to boot from the 3 TB drive. What I want to do is eliminate the two 1TB drives in RAID configuration and reinstall WHS 2011 on the 3 TB drive. I understand my old backups will be lost but that's OK. But like you said it will not boot on a GPT partitioned drive unless mobo is Eufi bios. Do you think if I install WHS on a smaller drive MBR partitioned then add the GPT 3 TB after the install it will work? How will the backup know to span across to the 3 TB drive when it runs out of room on the MBR drive. I have an extra 500 GB drive I can use MBR to put the WHS. Does this sound practical? Thanks for your time and help.😊
    • Edited by JACKIETOOLS Saturday, November 8, 2014 12:39 PM
    Saturday, November 8, 2014 12:38 PM
  • OK, best practice is to install WHS2011 on a small HDD (or SSD) and leave the remaining space empty. You then add the 3 TB and more/other additional drives for data, including the shared folders and client backups. You could use the 3TB HDD for that. The install of WHS2011 will first put the shared and client backup folders on D:\ which is the same physical HDD you use for the OS. After adding the additional drive you can simply move these folders using the wizard in the dashboard.

Do you backup your Server and, if so, only the OS partition or the data as well? In the latter case, the 3TB HDD could better serve as a Backup HDD and you would only use 2TB drives in the Server itself. WHS2011 _can_ backup more than 2TB of data but it _can not_ backup partitions/volumes that are in excess of 2TB. Also, if you do backup everything, you want to avoid using USB HDD enclosures but rather use a HDD dock connected through SATA. Anyway, there are quite a few threads on these things at wegotserved.com.

Saturday, November 8, 2014 4:32 PM
  • Thanks. You answered all I needed to know. I don't plan to back up the server itself so it makes things less complicated. I have plenty of older HDD lying around so I can use that for the O/S. Should I partition the 3 TB GPT before I install it or will it ask me how to partition it once it is in the server. Thanks again!
    Saturday, November 8, 2014 4:40 PM
  • If you are not going to backup the data then I see no reason to split the 3to drive into smaller partitions, i'd just keep it as one.
    Edit: I really have to advise though to backup the Server as well. In case of failure, there is no repair button without it.
    • Edited by Umfriend Saturday, November 8, 2014 8:26 PM
    Saturday, November 8, 2014 8:20 PM
  • Thanks but in regards to the 3 TB do I partition it GPT to keep it as one 3 tb partition . I thought MBR cannot be used as it would break into 2.2 TB and 700 GB. Sorry to be a pest but I want to get this done correct. You've been a big help so far. In other words when I install it in the server and turn on the server will it ask me to partition MBR or GPT? Will it give me the choice?
    Saturday, November 8, 2014 9:27 PM
  • That I do not actually know (I have only 2 TB drives in my WHS...). But whatever happens, I'm sure you'll be able to amend/correct/change through Disk Management (Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management).
    Sunday, November 9, 2014 10:02 AM
  • Thanks. I'm getting the drive Thursday. I already have WHS set up on a 160 GB HDD. I'll connect the 3 TB on Wednesday and let you know what happens.
    Sunday, November 9, 2014 11:33 AM
  • Finally got around to rebuilding the server. It wont let me format the 3TB disc in GPT. Keeps saying I/O error??? I'm about to give up. The mobo is an ASUS M4A78LT-M-LE
    Saturday, November 22, 2014 8:10 PM
  • Not working. The disc will not format at all. Not even MBR but it gives a choice for GPT too. Wonder if it's a bad disc?
    Saturday, November 22, 2014 10:43 PM
  • How is it connected to your system? Can you do some screen snapshots of how you get to the error? Are you using Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management?
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:54 AM
  • Used disk management. Tried diskmgmt.msc and ran as admin. Tried diskpart ind CMD mode and attempted the clean command to wipe drive and I got a cyclic redundancy error. I can't get screen shots as I have given up and returned the drive as defective. This was all on my WHS 2011 PC hooked up SATA. Tried it hooked up direct SATA on a Win 7 and Win 8 PC's and got same result. WD Lifeguard utilities would not recognize disc hooked up by USB 3 hard drive dock. The dock handles up to 4 TB drives. Thanks
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 11:35 AM
  • Hmm, that does sound like a bad HDD then. Please let us know how it goes with the replacement (I am assuming you are getting one to try it with?).
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 12:23 PM
  • I actually have decided to go with 2 WD Green 2 TB drives and run them in RAID 0 as I had previously done with my 2 1TB drives. Don't feel like going thru all this again with drives larger than 2Tb but I'm still curious as to why it didn't work. Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 1:15 PM
  • If you have time I need your opinion. I have Windows Home Server installed on a 160 GB HDD right now. I just purchased two 2 TB WD Green drives. What is my best option? Can I make a RAID 0 with the 2 drives and re-install WHS on the RAID 0 array? Will it allow me to install on a partition larger than 2TB. Should I leave WHS on the 160 GB HDD and install the 2 WD Green in RAID 0 if possible? Can I have a regular boot HDD and then install data drives in RAID 0 on the same PC? I'm really in need of advice. Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:48 AM
  • Personally, I dislike block-based solutions like RAID. If you have 2x2TB drives and you want them as a larger drive I would recommend Stablebit DrivePool. It is a file based solution where you would have a virtual drive of 4 TB (although no single file can be larger than 2TB) spread out over these two drives or, if you want, have duplicates of all files on both HDDs.

It is best practice to have the SSD on a (single) small HDD and use other HDDs for data. Cartainly never on a RAID-0. Oh, and my advice would also be to have backups rotating offsite.

Finally, why Greens and not Reds? I am told that the Reds are better suited for NAS/Server/24/7 operation.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 6:58 AM
  • I thought about getting the Red drives but already have the two 2 TB Greens. I set it up as 160 GB drive with WHS 2011 and now have 2 (F+G) drives of 1.8 GB each. You have been really helpful and this refers to moving files. I already moved Client Backups to the F drive. My question is I have 3 clients being backed up including myself. Can I choose which drive each INDIVIDUAL backup goes to instead of them all going to the F drive. I also read if the F drive fills WHS will automatically start filling the G drive almost like a RAID 0. If this is the case it should be fine set up as is? The reason I got the new drives was because the TB storage I had was full. Did not realize I could have just added a drive and WHS would have automatically continued the backups on the new drive. Just want to be clear the client backups will continue to the G drive once the F drive is full. Thanks.
    • Edited by JACKIETOOLS Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:04 PM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:01 PM
  • Not sure, but pretty confident that WHS2011 will not continue on the G drive once F is full. Pooling the drives would allow you to d that if you used pooling software, e.g., DrivePool. Do you backup the Server as well?

I do wonder though, only 3 clients need 2TB for backups?? Don;t you use the Server to store most data?

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 1:23 PM
  • WHS 2011 will not automatically switch to G: when F: is full. As Umfriend has said, it is best to store your data on the Server and have a backup strategy which takes disks off site.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 7:41 PM
  • I've been backing up everything including program files. Guess I should use it for Libraries only?
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 8:20 PM
  • Think I will try the Stablbit. As you said it will combine both drives to one virtual drive? Will they still be labeled with 2 different drive letters? If I use this then if the backups expand past the size of the single drive it will continue onto the second drive. Without me having to do anything. Thanks again for all your help. Happy Thanksgiving
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 12:06 AM
  • OK, if we're talking Client Backups, then I would backup *everything*. The time you save by doing a BMR instead of a clean install + recovery of data files is tremendous en it just works so easy.

Yes, it combines two (or more) drives into one virtual drive which will have ONE drive letter, which you can choose. It is advised to choose a high letter. I do not use Z: or Y: as these are wanted for Blackberry and some HP devices. But P: seems decent enough. You can still access the underlying HDDs through their own drive letters.

With DrivePool (DP) all files in the Pool (the virtual drive) are stored in plain NTFS format in a hidden folder on the HDDs. You can still store stuff on those HDDs outside of that folder in which case it is not part of the Pool and only accessible through that drive letter directly. The thing I like is about DP is that should one drive fail, the files stored on the other are still easily available. As it does duplication, if you want it to, it can thus protect you against failure of a complete drive (other than the OS drive).

Anyway, you probably won't use it for that. SO back to your last question: Yes it will use both drives and WHS will see it as a 4TB drive. It will spread out the files evenly over both drives by default, if you want to you can use one first and the other only thereafter. It works fine with a backup database > 2 TB because the individual files are < 2TB. What DP will not allow you to do is store a single file > 2TB (or >4TB if you had had 4TB drives).

Edit: With Server Backups, if possible, I'd also backup *everything*.
    • Edited by Umfriend Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:05 AM
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:04 AM
  • To be clearer as I said these backups are for myself and 2 daughters. We all have really big libraries but I like a total backup. I do not plan to backup server itself as all 3 computers also have external drives for library backups. Guess I keep the server as more of a hobby. I use a little 35 watt AMD Sempron 140 2.7 ghz processor and 4G of RAM. I think the Stablebit sounds great. Of course today being Thanksgiving I'll take a break but install it over the weekend. Thanks again for your help. I'll keep you informed if you like?
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 2:26 PM
  • Sure, let us know if it works out for you.
    Friday, November 28, 2014 6:32 AM
  • Sorry I'm late getting back. I used Stabelbit and it works great. I do have one minor problem maybe you can help me with. My PC is left on overnight and the backup is running each night but is running twice. It usually shows a run around 1230 AM and again around 330-4 AM. Is there a setting in Stablebit causing that? Thanks,
    Saturday, December 6, 2014 2:47 PM
  • No worries. See other thread on the backup thing.
    Sunday, December 7, 2014 12:52 PM
  • It only ran once overnight. Hopefully whatever caused it is repaired. Thanks.
    Sunday, December 7, 2014 1:00 PM
  • Did it again.
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 1:12 PM
  • Try opening the Task Scheduler on that PC and look in Microsoft, Windows, Windows Server and see if the Backup task is in there twice. If it is, try disabling one of them.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:16 PM
  • I think it is only in once. Should I delete this task on my PC and maybe the task is also on the server?
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:55 PM
  • It looks like it only ran once but shows twice in Server Manager?
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:12 PM
  • What I am going to do is leave my daughters PC on overnight and see how many times it backs up. She is away at college so her PC has not been on. I only set up the server again with the new hard drives 2 weeks ago so have not really let hers run overnight yet. Ill let you know. Thanks for the help.
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:17 PM
  • No, don't delete the other Backup task - that is for backing up your Server!

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 8:03 PM
  • I don't backup my server. Never have in the past and did not set up a backup for it this time either.
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 8:31 PM
  • I think the Task is created whether it is run or not.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 10:16 PM
  • Never saw that in years of use and I never set up a server backup. It also says the name of my personal PC and not the server name. Don't know what to try next. Thanks for your help.
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 11:03 PM