Which drive should I install Primary on? Also Mb selection help please. RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there everyone first time poster. I have been reading this forum for months now though it seems. Ok here is my problem. I know everyone says install WHS on your largest drive. I have 2 750gb Sata 300 drives and 4 250gb Sata 150 drives. If the primary is being used strictly as a dumping ground just to be migrated elsewhere aren't I efectively losing about 700gb by using it as my main drive.

Also Second Question. I have a Asus A8n-e MB with a 3700+ cpu (not dual core) is this board ok for running this software? It has 4 on board Sata 300 ports so I need at least two more. Can anyone recomend a good Controller card. Obviously dont need raid. Something inexpensive but that works.

Ok one last question. Am I ok to install this with my old IDE dvd burner I have in my system then remove it after install?

Thanks for all the help in advance this forum has been wonderful and answered so many of my questions already. Made me jump on the bandwagon and buy a copy from Newegg last night.
    Sunday, October 7, 2007 9:54 AM

Answers

• You aren't going to lose anything by making one of your 750 GB drives the drive WHS installs on. WHS will use the data partition on the system drive for storage (after it runs out of space on other drives). You'll need to make sure that the drive you want WHS installed on is the first one the BIOS presents to setup though (connected to your first SATA channel) because you don't get the typical opportunity to choose a particular drive, create partitons of preferred sizes, etc. WHS setup controls all that.

Motherboard: Does your motherboard have Windows Server 2003 drivers available for chipset and NIC? If not, you may be able to use Windows XP drivers.

Processor: my "production" WHS has an Athlon XP 3000+ and I've had no performance issues; your processor will be fine.

Add-on HBA: Almost any add-on HBA will offer RAID as an option; don't worry too much about that, but be sure to choose one that has Windows Server 2003 drivers available, preferably one on the Windows Server Catalog list of tested hardware. If the card is in place during software installation and you want those drives added to the storage pool (and formatted; every drive WHS detects during setup will be formatted) then be prepared to supply drivers on a floppy during the initial graphical (WinPE) setup and at the "Press F6" prompt at the start of text mode.

DVD: The only way to tell if your old DVD burner will do the job is to try. It's probably going to work fine, but if it doesn't, you can always try pulling it out and replacing it temporarily with one from another PC in your house. Removing it after installation isn't a problem.
    Sunday, October 7, 2007 2:57 PM
  • You can add your secondary HBA after installation, if you like. Depending on the card, you may have to connect KVM to configure it initially (if it has an onboard BIOS), then you'll install drivers as normal.
    Monday, October 8, 2007 12:05 PM

All replies

• You aren't going to lose anything by making one of your 750 GB drives the drive WHS installs on. WHS will use the data partition on the system drive for storage (after it runs out of space on other drives). You'll need to make sure that the drive you want WHS installed on is the first one the BIOS presents to setup though (connected to your first SATA channel) because you don't get the typical opportunity to choose a particular drive, create partitons of preferred sizes, etc. WHS setup controls all that.

Motherboard: Does your motherboard have Windows Server 2003 drivers available for chipset and NIC? If not, you may be able to use Windows XP drivers.

Processor: my "production" WHS has an Athlon XP 3000+ and I've had no performance issues; your processor will be fine.

Add-on HBA: Almost any add-on HBA will offer RAID as an option; don't worry too much about that, but be sure to choose one that has Windows Server 2003 drivers available, preferably one on the Windows Server Catalog list of tested hardware. If the card is in place during software installation and you want those drives added to the storage pool (and formatted; every drive WHS detects during setup will be formatted) then be prepared to supply drivers on a floppy during the initial graphical (WinPE) setup and at the "Press F6" prompt at the start of text mode.

DVD: The only way to tell if your old DVD burner will do the job is to try. It's probably going to work fine, but if it doesn't, you can always try pulling it out and replacing it temporarily with one from another PC in your house. Removing it after installation isn't a problem.
    Sunday, October 7, 2007 2:57 PM
  • Thanks for all your answers. One last thing. Can I just put 4 drives in it for now then add a controller card and my other 2 drives later. Or does it have to be during install?
    Monday, October 8, 2007 1:35 AM
  • You can add your secondary HBA after installation, if you like. Depending on the card, you may have to connect KVM to configure it initially (if it has an onboard BIOS), then you'll install drivers as normal.
    Monday, October 8, 2007 12:05 PM