Problems with 2wire Gateway RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

I'm installing a Acer Easystore h340 for some friends. I connected it to my home router and updated/installed add ins and everything was fine. When I brought it over to their place, however, I ran into problems. I knew that they had a 2wire gateway, so I followed these instructions to port forward to no avail. The server and their two computers are in the same workgroup and IP range, i've added firewall exceptions on the routers and tried disabling windows firewall.

Each computer can see and remote desktop into the WHS without problems. But the WHS is registered as a UPNP router by one of the computers. They can ping it, and it can ping them just fine. Nothing has a static IP if that matters. 

But I am getting a solid red I on the front, and the console software will not install. Additionally, the 2wire gateway seems to be recognizing the WHS as a router, and keeps putting it into DMZ. I am getting very, very annoyed. I've done a lot of googling, and this seems like a common problem. Unfortunately, I can't find an answer. Do ya'll have any suggestions?

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 7:37 PM

All replies

• Those instructions look complete - are there any other network devices we should know about?

However you said you followed the instructions but you said nothing has a static IP, yet in the instructions it says:

c) Find your server by name and change the Address Assignment to Private Fixed and click on “Save”. Make a note of the private fixed IP address.

That would be assigning a static IP.  I suggest you follow the instructions to the letter.

Cheers,
    Al

--

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 9:41 AM
  • No, Al, that's a DHCP reservation. And it shouldn't be required for initial setup, though for long-term reliability it's desirable.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 5:45 PM
  • I've got the same problem...  I can ping my Acer H340 server just fine, and I see it on my network and transfer files.  However, I can't use the Windows Home Server Console, even after I opening up the firewall ports 80, 426 and 4125.  

In my case, the problems started after my ISP upgraded my modem to a 2wire gateway 3800HGV-B.  It doesn't seems tu support UPNP...

Is there anything else I can try?

Thansk!

Saturday, July 10, 2010 7:13 PM
  • I've got the same problem...  I can ping my Acer H340 server just fine, and I see it on my network and transfer files.  However, I can't use the Windows Home Server Console, even after I opening up the firewall ports 80, 426 and 4125.  

In my case, the problems started after my ISP upgraded my modem to a 2wire gateway 3800HGV-B.  It doesn't seems tu support UPNP...

Thansk!

First, the correct ports are 80, 443, and 4125.  Second, the ports have nothing to do with opening the Console from within your LAN (they are only needed for Remote Access).  Perhaps your new modem has a router function built-in and you have your own router as well (creating a double-NAT situation)?
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 8:00 PM

Thansk!

First, the correct ports are 80, 443, and 4125.  Second, the ports have nothing to do with opening the Console from within your LAN (they are only needed for Remote Access).  Perhaps your new modem has a router function built-in and you have your own router as well (creating a double-NAT situation)?

Thanks for your help.

I've double checked and you're right it's 443...  I made a mistake in my post.  I don't have another router, could it be something else?  

Saturday, July 10, 2010 8:31 PM
  • Thanks for your help.

I've double checked and you're right it's 443...  I made a mistake in my post.  I don't have another router, could it be something else?  

Can you successfully ping your server, both by name and by IP address?  Do you have more than 1 client?  If so, do you have the same problem from all clients?
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Yes, I can ping the server by name or by address.  All clients are acting the same way.  

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Philippe>ping actarus

Pinging actarus [192.168.2.70] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.2.70: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.70:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Again, thanks for your help.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 9:50 PM
  • Yes, I can ping the server by name or by address.  All clients are acting the same way.  

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Philippe>ping actarus

Pinging actarus [192.168.2.70] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.70:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Again, thanks for your help.

In that case, I would suggest you try the Troubleshooter (which is part of the WHS Toolkit, either 32-bit or 64-bit).  Make sure you read the instructions since it doesn't install like other add-ins.
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 11:02 PM
  • Ok, I did more tests.  Here's where I'm at :

My problem started after my ISP switched my router for a faster 2Wire 3800HGV-B Gateway that doesn't support UPnP.  I couldn't connect to my server using Windows Home Server Console anymore.  I was stuck at the Password entry (even though I knew I had the right password).  

So I decided to remove WHSC and tried to re-install.  I'm now stuck at the password prompt. That's during the installation, using the files from the server (\\server\software) :

After I entered my password. :

"This operation cannot be completed at this time."
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/5904/whs2.jpg

If I try the password hint :
    http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8780/whs3.jpg

So, I opened up all the recommended ports on my router's firewall http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6624/whs1.jpg

I can ping the server ("actarus") by name or by adresse.
    I can ping my client ("euphore), from the server, by name or adress.
    I can see the server in my workgroup and I can transfer files both ways.
    I can connect to the server using Remote Desktop Connection has an administrator.

Anything else I can try?

Sunday, July 11, 2010 8:16 PM
  • Following kariya21 recommendation, I ran the WHS troubleshooter Toolkit. The diagnostics did 35 tests and gave me 10 warnings. Pretty much every warnings were the same :

"Cannot connect to the server internal Web services The server internal Web services use TCP port 55000. This test may indicate that there is a problem with the Web services on your home server, but it is more likely that other problems are contributing to this issue.

Check the following:

• Your home server and home computers are connected to the same router. 
    • Internet Information Services (IIS) is running on Windows Home Server. 
    • The "WHS site" is started on IIS. 
    • There is a security certificate installed on the "WHS site". 
    • TCP ports 55000 and 56000 are open on your Windows Home Server Windows Firewall. 

If you need assistance with these tasks, contact Product Support. Examine the other test results for additional and related information that may resolve this issue."

How can I check if IIS is running on WHS?

Monday, July 12, 2010 12:21 AM
  • Following kariya21 recommendation, I ran the WHS troubleshooter Toolkit. The diagnostics did 35 tests and gave me 10 warnings. Pretty much every warnings were the same :

"Cannot connect to the server internal Web services The server internal Web services use TCP port 55000. This test may indicate that there is a problem with the Web services on your home server, but it is more likely that other problems are contributing to this issue.

Check the following:

• Your home server and home computers are connected to the same router. 
    • Internet Information Services (IIS) is running on Windows Home Server. 
    • The "WHS site" is started on IIS. 
    • There is a security certificate installed on the "WHS site". 
    • TCP ports 55000 and 56000 are open on your Windows Home Server Windows Firewall. 

If you need assistance with these tasks, contact Product Support. Examine the other test results for additional and related information that may resolve this issue."

How can I check if IIS is running on WHS?

Logon to the server destkop, go to Computer Management, open up Services, and see if IIS Admin Service is running.  Also, try http://[servername]:55000 and https://[servername]:56000 from your clients and see if either of those work.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 4:21 AM
  • Ok, I've check and IIS Service status was at "Stopped".

So I tried to start it and it gave me this : 

Windows could not start the IIS Admin Service on Local Computer. For information, review the System Event Log.  If this s a non-Microsoft service, contact.... ... refer to service-specific error code -2146893818.

I tried http://[servername]:55000 and https://[servername]:56000 from my clients and it doesn't work.

Also, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my problems but my whs cpu usage is always between 50-100%...

Thanks.

Monday, July 12, 2010 11:34 AM

Windows could not start the IIS Admin Service on Local Computer. For information, review the System Event Log.  If this s a non-Microsoft service, contact.... ... refer to service-specific error code -2146893818.

I tried http://[servername]:55000 and https://[servername]:56000 from my clients and it doesn't work.

Also, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my problems but my whs cpu usage is always between 50-100%...

Thanks. 

You could try looking at the event logs for more details.  However, the only supported way to fix it is to perform a Server Reinstallation.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 3:18 PM

Thanks. 

You could try looking at the event logs for more details.  However, the only supported way to fix it is to perform a Server Reinstallation.

I kinda feared it would come to this...  Oh well.

Is there a way to reinstall without losing everything?  I've got two 1TB HDD in there; could I move all the content to 1 drive while I perform the OS reinstallation for exemple?  

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:39 PM
  • I kinda feared it would come to this...  Oh well.

Is there a way to reinstall without losing everything?  I've got two 1TB HDD in there; could I move all the content to 1 drive while I perform the OS reinstallation for exemple?

Just do a Server Reinstallation (or Server Recovery if it's a pre-built unit).  It wipes the OS partition but leaves everything else in tact.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:06 AM
  • It's an Acer H340, so I guess it means a pre-built unit...  Thanks a lot for your time and patience to help me!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:14 PM