none
SyncToy 2.1 - how does it compare with BeInSync and which version should I download? RRS feed

• Question

• As a former user of the sadly now-defunct BeInSync synchronisation software, I'm considering installing SyncToy 2.1 on my PC and laptop (both XP Professional SP3).  Any comments on how SyncToy compares with BeInSync would be of interest.  I've also come across ViceVersa PRO and was wondering if that would be an alternative.

At a rather more fundamental level, can someone please clarify which version of SyncToy 2.1 I should download should I choose to use it - the Microsoft overview is not in the least helpful when it states:

"The links in this section correspond to separate files available in this download. Download the files most appropriate for you.

SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x64.exe
    SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x86.exe

Cheers and thanks.

Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:52 PM

Answers

• Sorry, haven't used BeInSync, but if it helps - SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x64.exe is for 64 bit operating systems, and SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x86.exe is for 32bit ones.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 6:50 PM

All replies

• Sorry, haven't used BeInSync, but if it helps - SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x64.exe is for 64 bit operating systems, and SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x86.exe is for 32bit ones.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 6:50 PM
  • While it should be readily apparent from the download notes that the x64 exe is for those OS's, and the x86 is for the x32 OS's -

What is not apparent is which one to install when the Workstation OS is x64, and the other sync'd system is x32 for instance. The notes don't specifically address that condition ...
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Vice Versa Pro is excellent, but you pay for it.

Of the free offerings, Synctoy looks pretty good, though some nasty issues reported here.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:10 AM