Lost half of the product key RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently holding on a laptop.

The product key is stick below. But after sometime. it tore apart.

so now i'm only left with the last 3 colum of the product  key.

What should i do.

and if it was originally xp home but now is xp pro can the cd key still work

Friday, February 16, 2007 6:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Malao,

First off, to get a repacment CoA (Certificate of Authenticity <- this where the Product Key is found), you would need to contact the company that built the computer.

secoundly, No, Product Keys will only work on the software and version it was created for. (i.e. A Win XP Home key will not work on a Win XP Pro install)

Hope this helped!

Thanks,
    Darin

Friday, February 16, 2007 11:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Malao,

First off, to get a repacment CoA (Certificate of Authenticity <- this where the Product Key is found), you would need to contact the company that built the computer.

secoundly, No, Product Keys will only work on the software and version it was created for. (i.e. A Win XP Home key will not work on a Win XP Pro install)

Hope this helped!

Thanks,
    Darin

Friday, February 16, 2007 11:07 PM
  • Malao,

Use your manufacturer-supplied Recovery solution (Recovery CD and/or recovery partition) to put XP Home back onto the computer.  If the laptop is from a major brand name manufacturer, as a rule using the Recovery solution does not even require entry of a Product Key.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 12:53 AM