Does Vail allow configuring the number of days before a backup warning? RRS feed

• Question

• Does Vail add any configuration options on a per-computer basis for the number of days before warning that a backup hasn't been done?

I multi-boot several of my systems and they show up in my WHS as separate computers. I'm often not running a particular boot partition on a weekly basis. I'd like to set some of those computers for longer windows before a lack of a backup is considered a problem (like 14-30 days). A week is fine for regularly used machines but it's a pain to have to boot into each of the partitions every week just to clear the backup alert (I hate just ignoring the alert because then I might miss a real alert).

I say some complicated registry hacks for this, but I'm hoping this has been fixed in Vail -- any luck?

SBussinger
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:50 AM

Answers

• No, it doesn't.

In your situation, best practice is to install the connector only on the OS you will normally be booting into. All partitions will be backed up, whether or not they've been booted recently.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:55 AM

All replies

• No, it doesn't.

In your situation, best practice is to install the connector only on the OS you will normally be booting into. All partitions will be backed up, whether or not they've been booted recently.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:55 AM
  • The problem is that there's no one partition that I'm using all the time as it varies depending on what I'm working on at the time. I do a lot of Boot-to-VHD (love that feature of Win7) rather than using something like Virtual PC and have different partitions for different testing or development configurations. I've configured WHS to backup the booting partition and a shared data partition but not the partition that contains the VHD files, so there's not much overlap on what's backed up for each "computer".

This has the advantage of not trying to backup 36 GB VHD files (that would be changing often), allows me to access individual files from each boot configuration backup without having to restore the entire 36 GB VHD, and doesn't require me to boot to a base configuration just to get a backup every day. The main disadvantage is that one physical computer takes up several of my 10 computer slots, but that's not a problem for me in this case.

Does the registry hack for v1 work similarly in Vail? Any idea why this got taken out of v1 since the feature was apparently in there for a time? Did anyone do a v1 addon to configure this?

SBussinger
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 4:12 AM