locked
Services stopping and Remote library empty RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello All,

    I've had a few problems come up after installing the RTM. The first problem is I have 3 services that continue to stop:

    1. Windows Server Addins Infrastructure Service

    2. Windows Server Identity Management Service - This one is on and off, but when it stops I lose all users and remote access.

    3. Windows Server Server Backup Service - Loses the server backup configuragion > unsure if this affects client backups.

    My second issue is that no media shows in the Remote Media Library. I've checked user permissions and everything seems to be fine. While I was configuring the server there were a lot of "folder relocations" as I settle on drive locations and storage needs and I'm wondering if there may be a disconnect between the actual locations and where the indexing "thinks" they are.

    The only thing I've added is the Advanced Admin Console addin, which wasn't very successful and might have some relation to the services issue.

    Any ideas?

    Friday, April 22, 2011 1:29 AM

All replies

  •  

    Asuming you tried to install a V1 AddIn on WHS 2011 I can imagine this caused the problems you are seeing.
    You could try yo uninstall it (you probably did...)

    If you had a backup - try restoring the system state or try a full system restore.
    If this fails I would suggest to re-install your server.
    - Theo.


    No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 9:06 PM
    Moderator
  • Actually, it was a V2 addin (or the V2 version of the addin). It was weird. In the end I just reinstalled Vail. There isn't much info or experience for Vail yet and I didn't want to spend too much time troubleshooting.

    The Mods can mark this as solved if they wish, but I would like to leave it open to see if anyone else runs into this as it affected all 3 of Vail's key features (backup, remote access by web and/or dashboard, and remote media library).

    Monday, April 25, 2011 10:50 AM
  • Well, It's happened again!

    Event viewer shows a .Net runtime error everytime the service starts, then a SharedServiceHost.exe error immediately after.

    Seems I'm not alone - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/thread/63ebda2c-eced-4a8c-9bbd-82964d7b14d5/

     

    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Hum..

    Dave,
    Could you please report this to Connect?
    They will probably ask you to include your server logfiles. This will enable the technical team to find out what might be worng.

    Anything on what might have triggered the services not starting,
    Like Windows update or any customisation done to your server, like installing additional software?
    - Theo.

     


    No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:22 PM
    Moderator
  • OK, Connect bug reported. Interestingly the link to log instructions on the Bug Report page leads to a 404 error! :)

    Bug report at https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/665318/server-services-stopping

    In the interm I performed a repair installation of the .Net framework, which didn't work.

    Windows updates were done last night (4th Tues of month), but I highly doubt that is the problem at the first occurance happened before these updates were even released.

    I am running Crashplan, but there are many people running it on 2008 and WHS 2011 without problems.

    Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:37 AM
  • Thanks Dave,
    I voted for this feedback and added a ref to this thread.

    - Theo.


    No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:28 PM
    Moderator
  • Thank you!
    Friday, April 29, 2011 12:45 AM
  • I will be watching here because I tried SBS Essentials and the services kept stopping so I am reluctant to try WHS 2011.  I went back to WHS V1
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:27 AM