Connectivity lost to server...and no entries in the event log RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP MediaSmart EX470 WHS. Other than a corrupted backup database a few months ago, it's been working fine for about nine months.

I was out of town last week. When I got home, the WHS icon in the system tray was gray on all of my PCs. I couldn't connect to the WHS console nor could I ping the WHS. Since this is a headless device, I couldn't login to see what the problem might be. I cycled the power on the WHS--then all was well, including my nightly backups. About a day later, I had the same symptoms; I had to cycle the power again on the WHS. This happened a third time, also.

Also after returning home, I noticed some intermittent problems with my network switch; PCs would occasionally lose their connectivity to the switch until I re-seated their Ethernet connections. I had never experienced such a thing before with this switch. I replaced the switch today.

I had wondered if the problem I was seeing with the WHS was due to the problems with the switch; however, prior to replacing the switch, whenever connectivity was lost to the WHS, the Ethernet connection on both the WHS and on the switch continued to blink as though normal network traffic was occurring. Also, all of the EX470's status lights (power, connectivity, health, and drive) remained blue (i.e., no problems).

Here's where it gets weird. The Event Viewer on the server displays normal events in the Application, Security, and System logs up until a certain point (presumably when the WHS became unresponsive) and then no entries whatsoever until the power was cycled; thereafter, Event ID 6008 ("The previous system shutdown at xxxxx was unexpected.") appears--but absolutely no events in between. The server seems to have completely locked up--no longer logging any events.

I'm hopeful that replacing the switch will resolve this problem, but I don't see why it would. What else could be causing these problems with my WHS?

Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:49 PM

All replies

• cgwaters said:

Here's where it gets weird. The Event Viewer on the server displays normal events in the Application, Security, and System logs up until a certain point (presumably when the WHS became unresponsive) and then no entries whatsoever until the power was cycled; thereafter, Event ID 6008 ("The previous system shutdown at xxxxx was unexpected.") appears--but absolutely no events in between. The server seems to have completely locked up--no longer logging any events.

I'm hopeful that replacing the switch will resolve this problem, but I don't see why it would. What else could be causing these problems with my WHS?

If you're sure the system didn't lose power, you can TS/Remote Desktop into the server and check for a MEMORY.DMP file in C:\Windows. It is possible that the system bugchecked which would cause it to reboot.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:29 PM
  • D'oh. Replacing the switch made no difference; the server is unresponsive again. This is the fourth time I've had to cycle the power in the past week.

Thanks for the message, Lara. If it bugchecked and rebooted, wouldn't it become responsive again on its own?

Regardless, upon cycling the power this time, the system health icon is blinking red and the system refuses to boot. This is the first time it's done this. Cycling the power has the same result.

Now what? Ugh. I fear where this is going.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:59 AM
  • cgwaters said:

Thanks for the message, Lara. If it bugchecked and rebooted, wouldn't it become responsive again on its own?

Regardless, upon cycling the power this time, the system health icon is blinking red and the system refuses to boot. This is the first time it's done this. Cycling the power has the same result.

Now what? Ugh. I fear where this is going.

You are right, if it bugchecked, it would have recovered on its own. The only time I've seen it not recover is if it has bugchecked in the marvel driver (e-sata) and the case is still attached either because a bad drive caused the bugcheck or something else. That's neither here no there, somehow I read your statement as the system lost power on its own and then recovered. Don't ask me why :)

Here's a link to the health indicator lights for the HP MediaSmart Servers. You might want to contact HP support :(
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 5:12 PM