What is the best way to resolve this issue: Win 7 product key has been flagged by Microsoft as Not Genuine and the product key deactivated. RRS feed

• Question

• I built a PC for a customer in Sept 2010.  I installed a retail copy of Win 7 Home Premium.  A week ago, almost 2 and a half years later, my customer gets a message on his computer that his version of windows is not genuine.  After I had genuine advantage scan the PC, I got a message that the copy of Windows may be counterfit.  I contacted Microsoft.  The first rep I spoke to confirmed that the key had been flagged and blocked and there was nothing they could do over the phone.  After speaking to him and his supervisor, and getting two different expanations on how to proceed,  what is the best way to resolve this issue and get a new product key for my customer?  I bought this copy from a retailer I believe to be reputable. The packaging, disks, product key card and COA all look correct. 

Please advise. 

Blaine Martin
    • Edited by b_manater Monday, February 25, 2013 12:48 PM add name
    Monday, February 25, 2013 5:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Your can purchase a genuine Windows 7 Product key here: Windows 7 Home Premium - Full Version

Carey Frisch

Monday, February 25, 2013 6:40 AM
  • Please post an MGADiag report - then we can see what the problem really is. I've seen too many cases where the Activation operator's diagnosis has been wrong!

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Monday, February 25, 2013 9:51 AM
  • Carey,

Thank you, but the whole point is is to get a new key for what I believe is a genuine copy of windows.  Any other suggestions?

Blaine Martin

Monday, February 25, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Noel,

Thank you for your response

The PC is still in the customer's home.  I'll try to get him to run the tool and send me the report. 

As for the software, it is a retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium.  This is not OEM.  The packaging and disks are consistant with MS win7 retail packaging I have seen before.  The COA is on the edge of the plastic case placed so that when the plastic case is opened for the first time, the sticker is split along the perforations in the middle.  It was sealed when I first opened it.  It has only been installed on this one PC.  As with retail copies there is no sticker to affix to the pc case. 

When I talked to MS, I was given conflicting information on how to resolve this problem.  From sending the software back to them to directing me to the "how to tell" link you provided.  Both men I spoke to checked the product key and said it had been flagged and blocked from any further activation, as if the key had been hacked and was being used to activate windows on multiple PC's. 

If there is any other info you need, let me know.  I will try to get it to you and I will try to get the report to you ASAP.

Thank you for your time and trouble.

Blaine Martin

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Please see the Blocked Keys sticky at the head of the this forums's index page

Please also see the following video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqNNiOM0cs     

These other link is also relevant - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/46a58748-5a64-41ff-b7f4-f6d3b47beca9

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:50 PM
  • Carey,

Thank you, but the whole point is is to get a new key for what I believe is a genuine copy of windows.  Any other suggestions?

Blaine Martin

Feel free to submit a Counterfeit Software Report and you may be eligible to receive a complimentary, genuine copy of Windows 7.

Carey Frisch

Monday, February 25, 2013 6:14 PM
  • Noel,

Thank you for the reference material, very informative!

Wow, I knew pirateers were good, but I didn't realize they were that good.

According to the video, The copy of win7 I purchased for my customer is indeed counterfit.  I didn't buy it off of ebay and don't buy software off of ebay for this very reason.  I suppose now the only thing I can do is report the counterfit copy.

Guess it just sucks to be me right now.

Thanks for the info, your time and your help.

Blaine Martin

Monday, February 25, 2013 7:11 PM
  • Where did you buy it from, if I may ask?

Monday, February 25, 2013 7:13 PM
  • Carey,

Thank you.  Based on information from another reply, it is indeed counterfit. 

Thank you for the link.

Blaine Martin

Monday, February 25, 2013 7:15 PM
  • Apparently the wrong place. 

The company was called The Pro Deal.  I usually stick to companies on yahoo shopping, but after almost 3 years, I can't remember where I got their name from.  I did a search and found another angry customer of theirs' and an F grade at the BBB.  If those were posted when I bought, I don't know.  The price was low, but not suspiciosly out of line.

Live and learn.

Thanks again

Blaine Martin

Monday, February 25, 2013 9:01 PM
  • I can find no trace of the company - but my searches will be slewed by being on the other side of the world.

Good luck with any counterfeit claim you make!

Monday, February 25, 2013 9:25 PM
  • They probably are long gone.

The video link you sent me was most informative. The copy I bought had the telltale signs he spoke of, COA said made in USA, label on the DVD was a sticker, not printed on the disk.  Mine, however on the reverse side had the small hologram sticker around the center hole was printed with microsoft logo and PUERTO RICO and the outer half inch of the underside had a holographic etching, not a sticker. Very convincing!

My bogus copy is being shipped to MS in the AM.

Thanks again for your help.

Blaine Martin

Monday, February 25, 2013 10:23 PM
  • You're welcome.

Monday, February 25, 2013 11:14 PM