May a computer be added to two live mesh accounts? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a desktop computer where I installed Live mesh under my NT and Live ID account (my mesh).
    I have it synced with other computer under the same live ID.
    Both computers have windows 7 installed (64 bits version).
    It seems to work OK.

My wife has a laptop with windows XP SP3.
    I have configured live mesh in it under her NT account and live ID (so the device is added to another mesh different from mine).

We both used one of the desktop computers, running W7x64 (where I have already successfully running mesh, as I said).

Now I am trying to install live mesh under my wife's NT account in this computer, and using her live ID.

I connect to her mesh in the live mesh web, using her live ID.
    Then I select Add device and select the Vistax64 option to install the software.

After a while, I get an error saying it was imposible to install live mesh, "Live Mesh service is unavailable. Error code: 80072F78.").

What am I doing wrong?
    Is it not possible to add a device to two different meshes (live ID accounts) using different NT accounts?
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 2:47 PM

Answers

• On your wife's account, look for the servicing logs and submit a bug report:

If you run into an error during the installation of the Live Mesh softwarea Servicing.log will be created.  To get this log:

1.  Click
    Start
    2.  If you are using Vista, type Servicing* in the search bar. If you are using XP, click Search and then type Servicing*
    3.  In the search results you will see Servicing.log or Servicing[0000].log depending on where the installation failed. 
    To go directly to the file, the Servicing log
    is in INSTALLDIR\Setup\Servicing.log or %temp%\Live Mesh\Servicing[0000].log if Live Mesh was uninstalled/rolled back during a failed installation. 

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you may not receive a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

I don't really have any other ideas at this point, other than to try to create a new Windows login account on that machine with admin rights and try to install once again under that account (leaving your other install intact). If that works, it may point to a problem with your wife's user profile. Her account does have admin privileges during the install, yes? Elevated privileges aren't enough.
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, January 11, 2010 2:12 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 1:47 PM

All replies

• A machine is part of a single Mesh. You can, however, invite another user to share a folder or folders in another Mesh.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, December 7, 2009 2:17 PM
  • mmm... I am a bit confused about the concept of mesh...

Do you mean that if a person (in one windows account) installs live mesh and connects with one Live ID, no other person in another account can install live mesh and connect with other Live ID?

It seems a serious limitation.
    My wife and me cannot share the same computer without shareing information.
    She should send me an invitation and I should enter her windows account and install Live mesh and connect to mesh with MY live ID under HER windws account.

It seems an odd way of doing thins... I prefer that anybody has complete control of their own files.

But it is a way of getting it done, I will try it.

Do you know if there are plans of correcting that?
    Monday, December 7, 2009 7:27 PM
  • She can sign into Live Mesh with her ID on her account on the same machine, but Live Mesh can only be installed once on the machine.

I'm confused by your paragraph:
    "My wife and me cannot share the same computer without shareing information.
    She should send me an invitation and I should enter her windows account and install Live mesh and connect to mesh with MY live ID under HER windws account"
    What exactly are you trying to share between user account on the same machine?

Let's try a different scenario:

Two computers - each with two user accounts (Windows). One is primarily used by person A and the other is primarily used by person B.

Person A installs Live Mesh on a PC.
    Person B installs Live Mesh on a PC.
    Both users now have a Live Desktop for Live Mesh and one PC connected to it.
    Both users configure folders that they wish to sync with the Live Desktop and perhaps the other PC - for when they are using it.
    Person B signs on Person A's machine with their own Windows account, signs into Live Mesh with their LiveID and their folders will be offered to the PC. Repeat for Person A on Person B's machine.

Does that help?
    -steve

Monday, December 7, 2009 8:26 PM
  • I think I could not explain it correctly, may be due to my poor english.

That is exactly what I am trying to do: that my wife could sync her folders from her PC and live ID in the shared computer (connecting to it using her windows account).

But you say that Live Mesh can only be installed once.

I have installed it already under muy own windows account.
    When my wife logs in in the computer using her windows account, she cannot she any live mesh icon.
    I read in this forum that you need to install live mesh in each account, or at least that is what I understood.

When she logs in the live mesh web and tries to add the device and install the live mesh soft, is when the error pops up :  "Live Mesh service is unavailable. Error code: 80072F78."

How may my wife sync her folders in the share computer is she does not install Live mesh in her account?

Monday, December 7, 2009 9:05 PM
  • Your English is actually quite good. :-)

And, actually, I apparently provided some wrong information. Installing the client under the second user ID is the way to go. It should install fine.
    I'm going to unmark my previous reply as the answer.

Have a look at this thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/f6cdafac-a31b-4eaf-beb9-cfe0ee9e92f6

The person with the Answer later in the thread was able to install on both users after toying with the troubleshooting here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

It may also be worth checking that the Windows Update Agent under your wife's login is up to date, although I don't know if that's machine or profile specific: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/1335008b-4f69-44d5-8544-2dc25771295e
    -steve

Monday, December 7, 2009 10:18 PM
  • OK. So, I need to install Mesh twice: each in a different account and different Live ID. That is what I had understood previously.

As long as I read -thanks for your links- it is a problem related to windows update, it seems live mesh uses windows update after the installation to get it up to date.

I read your posts, but I keep getting the error. I checked that the live mesh that I had already installed were the last version. Check for update states that "live mesh is up to date". Then I checked windows update.

I am running windows 7, so there is no windows update agent to download (there isn't in Vista either). But I run windwos update and it says there is no important update. There are two optional updates, but not related to the OS, just a SQL server 2008 update and office live add-in which I am not insteresting in installing.

Thus I asume that the windows update version itshelf is up to date (as ther is no update).
    I logged off from my account -thus there is no live mesh client running when I try to install the new one- and logged in in my wife account.
    I checked to see if under my wife's account there was any windows update pending, but it was up to date, too. Then I turned off the antivirus software (to make sure there was no virus related or firewall related problem), and tried to add the device to my wife's Live ID.
    The live mesh executable downloaded, and asked permission to run. Then I got the small blue ring and a message saying installing and then preparing live mesh.

After that I could see a brief message saying "unistalling..." (could not see the complete message, as it was brief) and then the pop up with the error.

I am thinking of uninstalling live mesh completly and reinstalling, but it will take several days again to merge the multi gigabyte folders with the existing folders.

Any ideas?
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 8:54 PM
  • On your wife's account, look for the servicing logs and submit a bug report:

If you run into an error during the installation of the Live Mesh softwarea Servicing.log will be created.  To get this log:

1.  Click
    Start
    2.  If you are using Vista, type Servicing* in the search bar. If you are using XP, click Search and then type Servicing*
    3.  In the search results you will see Servicing.log or Servicing[0000].log depending on where the installation failed. 
    To go directly to the file, the Servicing log
    is in INSTALLDIR\Setup\Servicing.log or %temp%\Live Mesh\Servicing[0000].log if Live Mesh was uninstalled/rolled back during a failed installation. 

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Note that you may not receive a response to the bug report, though. It will be transferred to the internal system to be assigned to the appropriate development group.

I don't really have any other ideas at this point, other than to try to create a new Windows login account on that machine with admin rights and try to install once again under that account (leaving your other install intact). If that works, it may point to a problem with your wife's user profile. Her account does have admin privileges during the install, yes? Elevated privileges aren't enough.
    -steve

• Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Monday, January 11, 2010 2:12 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 1:47 PM