Can not install Home Server 2011 via usb DVD or usb boot Drive RRS feed

• Question

• First, I would like to say "Thanks" ahead of time.

I have had my copy of Home Server 2011 for about 7 months and just have not taken the time to install it.  Since I did not want to spend any additional $$ on building a new PC.  I just used what I had lying around. So the hardware maybe old, but functional. 

Case: Antec 300 (new)

PSU: 500WAtt Generic

MB: Inter 975X (D975XBX)

CPU:Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 or 965 (I cannot recall)

Ram: Corsair, 3GB (2X1GB, 2X512MB)

HD: Main Drive, WD 250GB (Drive 0)

Additional HDs:  250GB (Drive 1) and 3 1TB Seagate Drive (RAID sata ports)

1. I tried to install via USB DVD Drive, (did not want to install a DVD Drive). Bios would see DVD, but would not boot off the DVD drive.

2. I created a bootable USB, was able to boot off USB, get to installation, installation would see the two primary drives (Drive 0 & 1), but would hang at copying files. After the 3rd try and 1am rolling around, I called it quits.   

I did some research and found a recommendation to install the OS on other PC and then move the drive to the Server PC.  So I have created two 500GB Drive with the install files, i.e. I did not let the PC go pass the first reboot.   

I will update the forum later after I have tried this.  My second option is just to install a DVD Drive, which I will most like do tonight.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Christopher Espinoza MCDST(XP), MCITP(Win7)

Friday, November 30, 2012 4:28 PM

Answers

• I was able to complete the installation over the weekend, Friday Day Night, but not without issues.

1. The DVD drive did not help, it turned out the hard drive was the issue. 

2. I ended up using one of the 500GB I created on other PC.

3. Installation took a stand still with out a network connection, turns out you can not complete the installation without a network connnection. Which as an issue for me.  My ISP router is in the kitchen, I run one physical cable to my TV to stream netflix, and that is it, all my notebook and gaming desktop are wireless.   So I had to disconnect my monitor, keyboard, mouse and then run electric power to the dining room table and run a cable from the router to the PC, it was a hassle.

4. Once I got the OS completely loaded, I was gave it a static IP, just used the same one the DHCP router provided and set up by the TV, now I am able to remote it at my liesure and I will began working with it as the weeks go by. 

5. I was able to connect 2 PCs, (notebooks) for back up purposes and will see how that goes, I don't plan to run this server 24/7, since no one will use it other then me, and I will turn it on Friday evenings, for SAT backups and let it run over the weekend until Sunday Night.  

6. Due to the older board, I was only able to run main 500GB and 3 1TB drive, 1st Drive as back for system.  I was not able to load Win 7 drivers for the RAID controller.  So I am limited to 4 physical drives.  I am looking to change boards after I run into the 30 day evaluation/activation wall,  I don't like to activate softe untill I need to, hardware/OS might occur prior to that date.

Overall, I am like the aspect of having a server at home, I have worked with Server 2003 and working with Server 2008 currently, but this has been for studying and learning purposes. 

Thanks forum and any comments would be appreciated.

• Marked as answer by EspiOne Friday, August 16, 2013 1:39 PM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 3:19 PM

All replies

• Simplest is to just install a DVD drive. My test server hardware can be configured to boot from USB, but does the same thing your does when booting off a thumb drive. I just put in an old DVD-R drive rather than try to resolve the issue.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, November 30, 2012 4:35 PM
  • Thanks for the recommendation, I am thinking that will resolve the issue. I will just have to to the extra work of putting a DVD drive in and then remove it later.

Friday, November 30, 2012 4:44 PM
  • I was able to complete the installation over the weekend, Friday Day Night, but not without issues.

1. The DVD drive did not help, it turned out the hard drive was the issue. 

2. I ended up using one of the 500GB I created on other PC.

3. Installation took a stand still with out a network connection, turns out you can not complete the installation without a network connnection. Which as an issue for me.  My ISP router is in the kitchen, I run one physical cable to my TV to stream netflix, and that is it, all my notebook and gaming desktop are wireless.   So I had to disconnect my monitor, keyboard, mouse and then run electric power to the dining room table and run a cable from the router to the PC, it was a hassle.

4. Once I got the OS completely loaded, I was gave it a static IP, just used the same one the DHCP router provided and set up by the TV, now I am able to remote it at my liesure and I will began working with it as the weeks go by. 

5. I was able to connect 2 PCs, (notebooks) for back up purposes and will see how that goes, I don't plan to run this server 24/7, since no one will use it other then me, and I will turn it on Friday evenings, for SAT backups and let it run over the weekend until Sunday Night.  

6. Due to the older board, I was only able to run main 500GB and 3 1TB drive, 1st Drive as back for system.  I was not able to load Win 7 drivers for the RAID controller.  So I am limited to 4 physical drives.  I am looking to change boards after I run into the 30 day evaluation/activation wall,  I don't like to activate softe untill I need to, hardware/OS might occur prior to that date.

Overall, I am like the aspect of having a server at home, I have worked with Server 2003 and working with Server 2008 currently, but this has been for studying and learning purposes. 

Thanks forum and any comments would be appreciated.

• Marked as answer by EspiOne Friday, August 16, 2013 1:39 PM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 3:19 PM