Uninstalled old questionable office and bought new student edition but still gives same warning RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, just bought a second hand laptop for my son to go to university with and found that the version of office was certainly questionable as it was a volume license. I uninstalled it and ordered a student 2007 edition from Amazon. Having installed the student edition and activated it all was fine. Sent him off to university and he now tells me he gets the same message as before. Has it left a trail somewhere that needs to be removed as the new version is without doubt genuine.
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 8:17 AM

Answers

• "sks109" wrote in message news:4e6dbc7e-c354-4c98-a7cc-a58d6af2c358...
    Hi all, just bought a second hand laptop for my son to go to university with and found that the version of office was certainly questionable as it was a volume license. I uninstalled it and ordered a student 2007 edition from Amazon. Having installed the student edition and activated it all was fine. Sent him off to university and he now tells me he gets the same message as before. Has it left a trail somewhere that needs to be removed as the new version is without doubt genuine.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

Additionally, it would be useful to know whether you bouth the Office install from Amazon direct, or from a dealer in the Amazon MarketPlace - which is almost as bad as eBay for counterfeits.
    --

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:34 PM
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 11:53 AM

All replies

• "sks109" wrote in message news:4e6dbc7e-c354-4c98-a7cc-a58d6af2c358...
    Hi all, just bought a second hand laptop for my son to go to university with and found that the version of office was certainly questionable as it was a volume license. I uninstalled it and ordered a student 2007 edition from Amazon. Having installed the student edition and activated it all was fine. Sent him off to university and he now tells me he gets the same message as before. Has it left a trail somewhere that needs to be removed as the new version is without doubt genuine.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

Additionally, it would be useful to know whether you bouth the Office install from Amazon direct, or from a dealer in the Amazon MarketPlace - which is almost as bad as eBay for counterfeits.
    --

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:34 PM
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 11:53 AM
  • Purchased the software from Amazon direct, I share your view on Amazon marketplace. I wiil have to get the boy to run the MGAdiag and send it to me or wait for the vacation time but will keep searching for answers, very perplexing. 
    Saturday, October 9, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Original Poster has not replied with the requested information.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:34 PM