Disabling Manually Scheduled Tasks in PP2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All.

Even if the new feature is cool and often useful, it is not always seen to be accepted in tightly controlled environments; I'm wondering if it's possible to disable the ability to create and/or manage manually scheduled tasks on Project 2010 by client or Enterprise policy; I'm aware of 2010 SP1 Server settings related to client default mode,  assignments publishing and warning at publishing  but I'm looking for a way to disable the feature on clients or inhibit project save and publishing.

Any suggestion?

Many thanks.

Paolo

Paolo Ajani - KPNET
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Paolo,  You don't have the ability to limit certain client features; however you can sometimes limit the way the client interacts with the server.  In this case, you can disable manually scheduled from being published to team members; which is not the same as not allowing PMs to use it.  You really need to make this a training and procedure issue, so that your PMs can get the best out of project by knowing when it is appropriate to use Manually Scheduled tasks, and when it is appropriate to use Auto Scheduled tasks.
    Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    • Marked as answer by Paolaj Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:24 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Paolo,

You can configure Project Server to limit the use of Manually Scheduled tasks which will disable it to all Project Professional clients that are connected to the server.

You can also disable the Manually Scheduled tasks on non connected clients through group policy (see http://epmsource.com/2010/07/20/project-2010-group-policy/)

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:39 AM
  • Hi Alexander.

Thank you very much for your answer. Can you point me to the PS server configuration which disables Manually Scheduled Tasks for all Project Clients? The one I've seen in "Additional Server Settings"  is about setting default Task Mode; setting this policy to "Automatically Scheduled" does not disable Manual Tasks on connected clients (in my environment at least).

Thanks a lot,

Paolo

Paolo Ajani - KPNET
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:12 AM
  • Hi Paolo,  You don't have the ability to limit certain client features; however you can sometimes limit the way the client interacts with the server.  In this case, you can disable manually scheduled from being published to team members; which is not the same as not allowing PMs to use it.  You really need to make this a training and procedure issue, so that your PMs can get the best out of project by knowing when it is appropriate to use Manually Scheduled tasks, and when it is appropriate to use Auto Scheduled tasks.
    Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    • Marked as answer by Paolaj Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:24 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:21 AM
  • Many thanks to both you for your replies.

Best regards,

Paolo

Paolo Ajani - KPNET
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:23 PM
  • I stand corrected. Just been bitten by this myself.

Thanks Ben :)

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, November 7, 2011 5:43 AM