Hosting an ASP.NET web site on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have no problem hosting small HTML websites on my WHS for limited public access.  However I am struggling with extending this facility to ASP.NET web pages.  Can anybody assist me in this?  What I need is a clear and reasonably simple list of instructions as to what I have to do to make WHS accept requests for web pages written under ASP. NET and Visual Web Developer 2008.
    Many thanks.
    • Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:35 PM development related post. (Moved from Windows Home Server Software to Windows Home Server Add-Ins and Developer Information)
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 5:50 PM

Answers

• Unless you've installed the latest version of the .Net Framework on your server, you may have to configure your development environment to target the version actually installed which, by default, is 2.0.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by swiftyjc Monday, November 17, 2008 4:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by swiftyjc Monday, November 17, 2008 4:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by swiftyjc Monday, November 17, 2008 4:23 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2008 1:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you give us a bit more information on what you're trying to do? i.e. what does this web app do, does it require its own web.config, are you trying to use a different port/host header for the site, do you want to secure the application, are you getting specific errors?

You should just be able to create a new folder under the \Home or \Remote web applications and drop your ASP.NET web app in there. You may need to create your folder as an app in its own right (depending on web.config settings), by right-clicking your folder in IIS, choosing properties, then clicking "Create" next to Application Name.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 11:42 PM
  • Hi Sam
    Yes what you have said in the 2nd para is what I have been doing for simple HTML web pages which are for information display only and work great.  When I try to create a website in VWDeveloper 2008 using .aspx pages then the problems start.  For instance

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (D:\shares\Public\asptest\web.config line 100)

Line 98:        </httpHandlers> 
    Line 99:        <httpModules> 
    Line 100:           <add name="ScriptModule" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>  
    Line 101:       </httpModules> 
    Line 102:   </system.web> 

Because I am now writing a site which requires User Input etc I thought I would go down the ASP.Net route using my web builder sofware VWD 2008 Express.

According to Chapter 35 of Greg and Jennifer Kettell's fine book "Windows Home Server - Bible" I have to set up a virtual directory which I have done successfully then direct the website to this directory where the files (including the web.config file) are situated.   
    I am sure that I am just missing one little piece of the jigsaw but am unable to fathom it out.
    Thanks for your time and I hope this explains the situation explicitly enough.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 10:58 AM
  • Unless you've installed the latest version of the .Net Framework on your server, you may have to configure your development environment to target the version actually installed which, by default, is 2.0.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by swiftyjc Monday, November 17, 2008 4:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by swiftyjc Monday, November 17, 2008 4:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by swiftyjc Monday, November 17, 2008 4:23 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2008 1:12 PM
  • Thanks Ken I can't believe the answer was staring me in the face all the time. I have installed ASP.NET v 3.5 on the server and after a few setbacks everything is up and running.  Thanks again.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 4:23 PM