FileSyncProvider with multiple targets RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I also have a requirement as follows

1) Sync the data from one server to multiple clients (approx 900) clients. But not all 900 clients will be initiating the sync at the same time. But there could be a set of (approx 200 clients) clients syncing the data at a given interval of about an hour. Apart from the adhoc sync that can happen on a business need basis. The size of the data that is being synced could be (approx 100 MB) per sync.

2) There is also a reverse sync from the client to the server. But the size of the content in this case is not as huge as the previous case

3) The idea behind looking at the Sync Frame work is from the Incremental add/update/delete part of it that will cut down the overhead of syncing the data that is already available & the useage bit of it

Questions

1) Is Sync Framework a solution for the requirement mentioned above?

2) If the answer to Question 1 is yes, Do we have any case study on such implementations?

3) If the answer to Question 1 is yes, Do we have any best practices that need to be followed?

4) How can we implement Authentication as part of the folder that need to be sync'ed as all the 900 client connect to it to download content?

5) How does the metadata file work in this context?

Regards

Ashwin

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 11:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Does my previous post make any sense, Can we think in the direction or is it not a feasible approach. Hope i get an answer this time

Regards

Ashwin

Monday, February 7, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Hi Ashwin,

A file synchronization scenario between a large number of replicas/clients is supported by Sync Framework.  You can find documentation on how Sync Framework can be used to target such a scenario.  We also have code samples demonstrating how to write a custom file sync provider:

File Sync with Simple Custom Provider Sample

File Synchronization Provider Sample

Sync Framework does not authenticate clients -- your application needs to handle authentication.  What is your authentication situation?

Thanks,

Minh.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:19 AM
  • Thanks MinhDo

I also wanted to know the way we can simulate a load or stress test to check the performance. Are there any tools using which you can initiate 100 users trying to Sync 100 MB of data at the same time.

Regards

Ashwin

Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:15 AM
  • Unfortunately we dont have any tools that can help you test your stress scenario. You would need to write your own test harness for simulation. Since this is IO intensive, I would advise to simulate on multiple client machines though.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Thanks Mahesh for the reply

I also wanted to know the following

1) Which protocol is been used by the FilesyncProvider?

2) Is there anyway that we can set that as an option?

3) Is there anyway that we can see which is used as default?

Regards

Ashwin

Friday, February 25, 2011 10:51 AM
  • It is really protocol agnostic - to do multi machine, you would need to write your proxy and service pieces.
    This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, February 25, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Hi Mahesh,

Is there a way to compress & encrypt the files during the sync?

Regards

Ashwin

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 10:37 AM