none
Infinite Windows Genuine Activation Loop

Question

• I appear to be having quite a unique problem that I can't seem to overcome...

Infinite Windows Genuine Activation Loop (YouTube Video)

It just loops.

I am able restart and go into Safe Mode, but that's no good.

This is a clean install, all i've done is install updates and drivers.

I rang up to get it activated, so it should now be active.

Please advise further.

Thanks.

• Edited by HM2K Friday, July 09, 2010 5:05 PM linked
    Friday, July 09, 2010 4:49 PM

Answers

• I've now reinstalled using the OEM disc again. I've installed 80 updates including WGA.

I was able to activate online and it's reporting back as genuine so I guess all is well.

Although we didn't resolve the actual original issue, I am now happy to consider this situation closed.

Thanks for your support.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:52 PM

All replies

• Hi HM2K,

That is definitely odd.  Unfortunatly, it appears you can't run a Dignostic Report with it looping like that (running it in Safe mode doesn't give us as much information).

I recommend creating a (no cost) support request for further assistance with this problem.

North America: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/cu_sc_genadv_master?ws=support&ws=support#tab4

Outside North America:
    http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support#tab0

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MSOwner Friday, July 09, 2010 9:45 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by HM2K Saturday, July 10, 2010 11:43 AM
    Friday, July 09, 2010 9:45 PM
    Owner
  • Hello HM2K,

If the computer can be started to a safe mode command prompt, run this to re-arm XP activation:

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

[The command must be typed exacly as above with space, caps, and comma.]

If you try it, let us know if it worked for you. :-)

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 1:06 AM
  • @Darin Could you kindly explain where I can open a support request? I'm based in the UK.

@Dan That didn't seem to do anything. I also tried "Install" on the oobe.inf, that didn't work either.

Any further suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Hello HM2K,

What is the context of this problem?  Is this a fresh installation or an old one?  Did you just clean up a malware attack? 

If you can logon in Safe Mode, then backup and offload your data for safekeeping and do a repair reinstallation.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, July 12, 2010 12:34 AM
  • @Dan As I said at the top "this is a clean install". All I've done is installed updates, drivers and some essential software. I activated, and had the same issue, so I rolled back to before the software and reactivated, the same issue occured. I rolled back to before WGA was installed, the same issue occurs.

My concern is that even if I do a repair install, run the updates I'll be in the same situation. However, should there be no further suggestions it is the only other suggestion I've seen.

Thanks.

Monday, July 12, 2010 8:54 AM
  • Hello HM2K,

Why did you have to call to activate?

Monday, July 12, 2010 12:06 PM
  • As per the instructions of my hardware manufacturer:

"If you do still wish to downgrade to XP you would need to use the XP Professional CD to install from, entering the product key supplied with this.  Next you would need to activate using the automated telephone system rather than over the internet, this is because you will need to speak to a Customer Services Representative from Microsoft in order to advise them that you are wanting to exercise your downgrade rights.  Once they have verified that you have a suitable Windows Vista license, which includes Vista Business.  They will then provide you with a new product key in order to activate your copy of XP."

• Edited by HM2K Monday, July 12, 2010 1:08 PM s/A/As
    Monday, July 12, 2010 1:06 PM
  • Hello HM2K,

It is true that an OEM installation of Windows Vista Business does confer downgrade rights to Windows XP Professional.

Did the Activation Customer Service Rep actually give you a new product key, or did they simply activate the key that you used to install XP Pro?  Is your XP Pro installation disc at the Service Pack 2 or 3 level?   If SP3, did you use the default installation key or did you manually enter a product key early in Setup?

Monday, July 12, 2010 1:29 PM
  • I've rang up a few times and spoken to various reps.

I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP3 (OEM), I rang up to explain that it was asking for a CD key and I needed a new key to downgrade. They said I needed a CD Key before they could proceed, any would do. So I got one.

I called up again, this time they told me that I had an OEM CD Key and they needed a retail CD key.

I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP3 (Retail) and used another CD key.

I rang up and told them I wanted to downgrade from Windows Vista Business to Windows XP Pro. They asked me for the installation ID and told me to enter the numbers. At which point windows said it was activated.

I restarted windows to find I was in the loop.

I started in safe mode and rolled back to before I did activation (and some updates) and was able to start windows normally, but activation was required.

I rang up again to get it activated, again explaining that I wanted to downgrade, again given the same instructions.

I did this a couple of times, with various restore points, all resulting in the same loop.

At no point did I enter the key during installation, only once I had entered windows.

Monday, July 12, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Hello HM2K,

May I suggest this course of action?

Do yet another (!*&^%$#@) clean installation of XP Pro.  Use the XP Pro full retail installation disc (presumably this is a Genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation disc).  When Setup prompts you for the Product Key, enter the Product Key that came with this installation disc.  Can't remember exactly for XP SP3, but if there is a choice to allow Windows to attempt to activate online automatically, deselect that choice.  Complete Setup normally and restart.

After Setup is done, start the Activation Wizard and do a Telephonic Activation.  Do not enter or say anything into the phone system, which will shunt you to an activation representative.  Explain that you are exercising your downgrade rights from Vista Biz.  They should be able to complete the activation.  If so, restart several times to see if it goes into the loop again.  If no loop, visit www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on the Validate Windows button to see if it will Validate.

Let us know how it goes. :-)

Monday, July 12, 2010 2:44 PM
  • I've finished the setup process and I've called the activation representative. I told them that I am exercising my downgrade rights from Vista Business to XP Pro. I said I needed a new CD key.

They said that they would be unable to help me with a new key and I would have to contact Microsoft customer services on 0844 8002400.

My question here is, if they are unable to help me, what is the point of talking to them?

As I don't need to speak to anyone to activate, shouldn't I just activate using the keys on the telephone? Or online instead?

Or do I need to call Microsoft customer services to complete the instructions?

Thanks.

Monday, July 12, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Hello HM2K,

I think you might have thrown them a curve asking for a new key.  They just have to activate the key that was used to do the current installation XP Pro, assuming it is not a blocked key nor a key that is not able to be activated (like a default product key or OEM SLP product key).

At this point I would simply try an automatic online activation and see if it flies.

Monday, July 12, 2010 6:01 PM
  • When you try to activate online, it would seem that no matter what key is used an error is displayed.

Unauthorized product key, message number: 45090 or Invalid product key, message number: 45128.

I expect the product key is unauthorized because the hardware is different or invalid because it's for a different version.

This probably explains the need to call up a representative.

Having said that, I just tried another key and that seemed to activate online with no problems.

I have restarted (without installing updates) and it came on fine.

I am now restarting and installing the 72 Windows updates.

I will report back once this is complete.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:56 AM
  • So, the original looping fault is fixed, however the activation issue remains.

Because I'm now using Windows XP Pro retail and a non-genuine key the system will not pass WGA.

I have since discovered that and I quote; "End users must use a legally licensed version of the specified previous version of the Windows desktop operating system to install the downgrade software. The downgrade software may be from the retail, OEM/System Builder, or volume licensing channels."

That being the case, why was I advised to use a retail version instead of an OEM version?

I have genuine keys for the OEM version, but not for the retail version which I was told to obtain a key for.

I believe I should reinstall using the OEM disc and use the OEM key and activate that way.
    • Edited by HM2K Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:22 PM fontsize fix
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:32 PM
  • I believe I should reinstall using the OEM disc and use the OEM key and activate that way.

Sounds like a good idea.

(Did not expect that you were using a nongenuine retail PK.....)

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:15 PM
  • After this saga and under advice from a Microsoft rep, I am willing to try anything.

But I'll give the OEM reinstall a go and report back.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:23 PM
  • @Darin Could you kindly explain where I can open a support request? I'm based in the UK.

When you click the "Outside North America:http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support#tab0" , link, you should be redirected to the UK version of the Contact Us page.  

On that page, you will need to click the "View Customer Service Solutions Center" link. On the right hand side of the next page, click the Contact link for the  'Genuine Advantage'  section.  You will have your choice of Telephone or Email based support.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:03 PM
    Owner
  • I've now reinstalled using the OEM disc again. I've installed 80 updates including WGA.

I was able to activate online and it's reporting back as genuine so I guess all is well.

Although we didn't resolve the actual original issue, I am now happy to consider this situation closed.

Thanks for your support.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:52 PM
  • Hello HM2K,

Glad to hear that everything's back to normal!

We don't have any awards in the Genuine Advantage Forum, but if we had a Perseverance Award, I would nominate you for it! :-)

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:36 AM
  • I clicked start,  tools,  right clicked windows genuine advantage...clicked delete

Saturday, January 01, 2011 9:47 AM
  • Thank You. Help me more than once!

W.Maxx MCITP MCSE MCSA MCP 2k8 2k3 2k nt4 AD, Exchange, DNS, msProject, SharePoint IBM iSeries RIM blackberry

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:39 PM