Re-register Office 2000 RRS feed

• Question

• Years ago my niece purchased a copy of the Office 2000 (student copy) and installed in the PC.

Last year, she gave the PC, complete with all the OS, office 2000 CD to my daughter as she need it ofr her school work.

However,the PC was down and I will want to install the Office 2000 into my new PC.

Questions

1. Can I install the software to new new PC if I do not intend to repair the old one.

2. Do I need to register upon installation (my niece cannot remember whether she had registered the copy when she purchased the software).

Saturday, November 3, 2007 6:52 AM

Answers

• Hello,

You shouldn't need to activate Office 2000 again but if you are asked please activate no problem.  Register the software in your name. Also again please read the EULA and see if you are still permitted to use this software. Each version of software has its own EULA. Yes the software should be a full package but please look @ the box and/or disc and see if it says full version.

TAke care,

Stephen  holm, MS

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 12:06 AM

All replies

• As the microsoft office is vaild for 1 year from the date of installation on the computer. If u buy a new computer with an operating system that is vista then u have to download a patch for microsoft office 2000 as the microsoft office which ur

niece purchased would not be compatable with vista. So before purchasing check if the office works on the computer or not.

Saturday, November 3, 2007 1:09 PM
  • Mine is XP home and what I need to know is whether I need to register again under my daughter's name or just ignore the registeration as was aware that only Office 2003 onwards need the Genuine Validation. I am holding the genuine CD with the registration code.

Monday, November 5, 2007 2:54 PM
  • VCFF,

Please read your Office end user licensing agreement or (EULA) for all the details surrounding the exact version which your neice purchased years ago. There are different versions of Office like OEM, Retail etc. This will explain all the details to you. 

1. You should be okay. Office can only be used on one system @ a time.

2.  You may need to activate again.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS 

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 12:33 AM
  • Hey Rocky,

Where did you get this information from?  Please provide me with information you have and/or received as well as anything from Microsoft.

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 12:34 AM

• This was purchased under the Academic price (niece/daughter are students), with the full package in a sealed box and therefore should be a retail purchased. Am I right to say that?

If I am not wrong, Office 2000 need not need to activate, only registeration. If need to re-register again, should I register under my daughter or under my niece (she cannot remember the info provided if she had registered earlier).
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 2:20 PM
  • Hello,

You shouldn't need to activate Office 2000 again but if you are asked please activate no problem.  Register the software in your name. Also again please read the EULA and see if you are still permitted to use this software. Each version of software has its own EULA. Yes the software should be a full package but please look @ the box and/or disc and see if it says full version.

TAke care,

Stephen  holm, MS

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 12:06 AM