Windows Media Player 11 and WHS integration RRS feed

• Question

• Should my WMP library automatically see the WHS shares?
    I have tried everything short of manually adding them and I cant get them to show up in WMP.

I have disabled my firewall, moved WHS and all the PCs to the same workgroup, then reinstalled the connectork, but WMP still does not show my WHS shares. I have media Library Sharing turned on in WHS.

Isnt this supposed to showup just like when WMP detects another computer with WMP turned on and media sharing enabled?

Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Have you worked through the Media Sharing document available here? Also, using WMP in the search box above and limiting it to the WHS forum, will generate quite a number of posts on settings etc.
    Good luck,

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:31 PM
  • So I guess the answer to my question is "yes"?

I've spent several hours trying to find this out...
    Is it supposed to just "show up" in my library or not?
    If the answer is "no" THEN I have no problem manually adding my shared folders to my library.

I just want to ensure that there are no underlying problems that I am fixing by brute force when not addressing the root of the problem.

Can anyone tell me if shared media on the home server is supposed to "just be there" in your WMP library?

And Colin... on the page you linked to, the document you mentioned is a dead link. Clicking your link takes me to a list of documents, but when I try to download the one you mention it gives me an error 404.
    Monday, September 15, 2008 7:54 PM
  • No, the server shares will not automatically appear in your Windows Media Player library.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:41 PM
  •  

On the client PC go into Library in Media Player and add the folders from your server e.g. "\\SERVER\Photos"    "\\SERVER\Music"  

Richard A Miller. Media Center MVP
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:22 PM