Backups not accessable after reinstalling WHS also lost data on hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• ok i have 2 problems  1 was i reinstalled whs on a blank hard drive and had another hard drive in the computer and it linked the 2 drives together and erased it  i didnt know pissed me off so now i lost all that data cuz using ontracks data recovery doesnt work didnt get anything back from a format

2nd is the   with the data problems i cant get access to the backups on a 2nd drive when it was linked to the main drive it stored all the backups in the folder directory  well i dont wanna link them to incase i erase it but i cant copy the files to the D: drive for the backups as i wanna be able to vew the backup files  and just pick and choose what files i want from it any not having to be directy on that computer

is there a way is there a nother program that i can just load up the files from the folder directory and i can pick and choose the files? so then i can basiclly delete the backups and start over?

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you asking about 1) restoring files from a client PC backup or 2)restoring files from a Server Backup?

1) http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12500/restore-files-from-backups-in-windows-home-server/

2a) Add the hard drive with the backups to your computer, ensure you choose "Use this hard drive to back up files that are stored on your server" and on the next screen "No, preserve the existing file on this hard drive".  You should then be able to restore your backup - after you can then delete the files you don't want on your server and perform a new backup.

2b) Unsupported: Follow 2a) to the end of adding the disk - then using the Add-In Advanced Admin, Physical Console, or Remote Desktop browse to E: and copy the files you want to \\localhost\shares\ 

If you have another problem that I didn't understand then please try again but I found your question wasn't too clear the first time.

Good luck,
    Al
    --
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:56 PM
  • For your first issue, it sounds like you attempted a reinstallation, but weren't offered that option at the appropriate point in setup. You then continued through the remaining screens, including several prompts that you were about to erase all connected drives. There is, unfortunately, not a lot that can be done about this; it was your choice to continue. I'm a bit surprised that a recovery tool wasn't able to get any of the data off your drive, however.

As for the rest, could you please provide a clear, concise explanation of the problem?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:42 PM
  • ah ok  like using ontrack  recovery did  pull up another windows install  of whs but that wasnt on there it didnt find the 1TB of data only 6 gig of a windows install

so the problem i have is i cant copy the folder  called folder off the other drive of client PC backups  cuz i wanna be able to copy that folder to the D:sys   drive  and then be able to view the pc client backups but i dont wanna restore t he computer i just wanna see some files i missing that are in the backup and restore them  to any computer
    is there a program to just be able to view the backup  like say a zip file using winrar to view it and extract what u want

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:32 PM
  • What probably happened is that (for some reason, possibly related to how drives are connected to your controller) Windows Home Server didn't see your old system drive as the system drive. So it used the first drive (previously a data drive) as the new system drive, and didn't give you a restoration option. 

As for the rest, you're still very unclear in what you're asking. Punctuation, please? But (taking a wild guess at what you're asking) there is no way to view the contents of the backup database other than by using the tools supplied as part of Windows Home Server. You can open a backup by using the Windows Home Server console, to see what's in it (and restore individual files/folders); you'll find more information in the console help file under the topic Learn how to restore files from a backup.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:13 PM
  • ah ok ill look it up ya the hard drive wipped out and it was linked to the other hard drive  so it extended the hard drive  its in the Acer Home server  no monitor or keyboard  just 4 hard drive bays

and ya thats what i wanted to do 
    since the new windows home server installed i want it to look at the 3rd hard drive i have  at the folder of the 800gig backups of computers i had and restore files from it perferably on the server

but if i go in the console it doesnt allow me to point to another location of backups how do i do that?  point to say look in that folder not the d:\folder one

ill ook at that topic too
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:28 PM
  • There is no tool other than Windows Home Server for viewing the contents of the server's backup database. If you have a copy of a backup database from another server (or a previous installation on your current server) you can, in theory, replace the backup database on your server now with that copy. See the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief for more details. I can't say for certain if that will serve your needs, however, and if you decide to try it I would recommend making a copy of your current backup database first.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:15 PM
  • ok ill read it   so currently what i have is i got the drive mounted as a server drive  and set no to formatting and preserve the data  so what i doing is currently copying over the 800 gig of backups to my other home server  over the network to the same folder  

now in theory when in the console will it see the backups  or do i have to reg edit something   so far just copying the one folder over

cuz i wanna be able to view it and extract the backups   so once i view it can i extract the certain files  to say the server harddriuve?

so if i cick view and i see oh a folder called pics can i click it and have that extracted from the database  and placed on the computer of whatever i using?
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 6:44 PM
  • The technical brief I linked earlier, along with the console help file, will answer your questions, which boil down to "How does Windows Home Server home computer backup work?"...
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 7:55 PM
  • ok will do  now just gotta wait till tonight before damn thing done copying over 800 gig of backup  lol
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:33 PM
  • ok so i still having problems what i was able to do was copy the database from the other hard drive to the folder in the D:\folders location  and then i tried 2 things replacing the whs.reg didnt work and then i tried doing the merge the old whs.reg with the new one and it lets me see the backup computers but it wont let me view the files and now it buggers up the the backup services

ok so what em i doing wrong  i got the 800 gig if backups into the folder
    D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}

but the whs file i merged didnt help  i wish there was a 3rd party software that could view the backups so i can strip what i need from them  or some editor
    Monday, March 15, 2010 12:43 AM