Using IE6 with Remote Desktop RRS feed

• General discussion

• Where I work all the computers are stuck with IE6.  I have tried, but I can't make remote desktop work on any of the computers there.  Instead of the normal loading screen, I see an image of a page with a red x in it, saying the image didn't load.  Is there some setting that must be open for it to work?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 2:35 AM

All replies

• I haven't tested Mesh with IE6 but according to the system requirements it should work. I guess it requires an ActiveX control, so if ActiveX or scripting is blocked in your browser or by your firewall this might be the cause for your problem. Does your Live Desktop and Device Ring load properly (so only Remote Desktop fails)?
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 10:25 AM
  • Since I am doing this elsewhere than home, I can't install any actual programs, so there is no live mesh program.  I am not even getting a prompt for an ActiveX control, even though all the settings are set to enabled or prompt. 

How can I test if activeX controls are blocked by the firewall? Is there a page I can go to that tests that?
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:03 PM
  • I dont know of a specific test üage for ActiveX controls. Many sites use them.
    Does your Live Desktop and Device Ring load properly when you log in to www.mesh.com in IE6 (so only the Remote Desktop function fails)?
    Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    Friday, January 9, 2009 2:48 PM