High CPU usage RRS feed

• General discussion

• My CPU constantly runs at 60% or greater even when nothing apparently is running.  It causes my fan to run pretty much non stop.  Does anyone have any grandious ideas to extend the life of my computer by not cause it to run at such a high rate

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 6:00 AM

All replies

•   

You're off topic for this forum, which is dedicated to Windows Live OneCare. You may want to try the Microsoft Public newsgroups here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx

High CPU Usage can be caused by conflicting software, typically multiple active security programs that provide "real time" protection, or it can be caused by processes running that don't need to be running.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 6:45 AM
  • Actually, Stephen, the fact that he didn't specifically MENTION OneCare doesn't mean he is off topic.

In fact, since this forum IS dedicated to OneCare, why should someone be required to preamble with "I am running OneCare and..." to be ON topic?

That being said, I am running OneCare on both a Vista (64 bit) laptop and an XP Media Center (32 bit) desktop, and I am experiencing exactly the symptoms that kenaikate describes - about 50 - 60% CPU usage by the OneCare task at all times - but only on the Windows XP machine.

Both machines are kept fully current, both OS patch and driver-wise.

For both installations, I deleted all other virus, backup, and spyware programs (using Revo Uninstaller on aggressive mode) before installing OneCare.

I've made either, both, and neither machine the "hub" of the two-license installtion - to no effect.

I do not have any of the "peer networking" tasks running that seem to be the focus of solutions in other discussions about this problem that one discovers if one "googles" the "onecare high cpu use" search phrase that lead me here.  If the solution is out there somewhere, I haven't Googled it up yet...

Frankly, I'm a tad angry about this, since I tested OneCare on the Vista laptop for more than two months to make sure it worked as advertised before I paid the subscription fee and installed it on the XP desktop.  Never anticipated that it would have issues on the older, mature, and more stable platform.

I will certainly continue to search for some kind of legitimate solution for this issue, but if anyone has found the solution and can point me to it, I would be very grateful.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 4:57 PM
  • The original poster did not mention OneCare, nor was there a follow-up post to correct me in my assumption. Had one been posted, I would have moved the post back to the OneCare forums.
    In your case, clearly this should not be happening. The services issue is old information and is typically no longer the cause. When CPU is excessive with OneCare - msmpeng.exe, specifically - the usual cause is a conflict. The most common cause being what you already checked for - security software that is fighting with the OneCare on-access engine. If that isn't the cause, your best bet is to contact support to try and determine what may be conflicting and causing msmpeng to go haywire. The only time I'd expect it to consume CPU is when it is scanning, which will happen at boot and then during a schedule scan.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, April 6, 2009 6:13 PM