How test Mirroring? RRS feed

• Question

• For several weeks I seem to be running fine with  all aspects of WHS2011. Everything tests perfectly (client backup/restore, Mac client backup, streaming, remote web access, etc.) , but I don't know how to determine if Mirroring is working ok.

All my Server Folders are Mirrored on an identical drive. Disk Management shows them Mirrored, and with the exact same amount of data on them.

How can I be certain that the mirroring is really taking place and that I can run ok if one of the drive fails? Does the test consist merely of disconnecting a drive to see what happens? Or is there a better way?

Thanks alot.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:35 PM

Answers

• James

I think you have hit the nail on the head with your suggestion. Remove one drive (suggest shutting down, rebooting) and test your data integrity and then repeat for the second drive. No doubt you will get all manner of warnings that a disk is missing, but it wold be interesting to see what they are!

There is probably some software out there which would do this for you without removing disks but I don't know what it is!

Phil

• Proposed as answer by kariya21 Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by jamesf3 Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:41 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:42 PM

All replies

• James

I think you have hit the nail on the head with your suggestion. Remove one drive (suggest shutting down, rebooting) and test your data integrity and then repeat for the second drive. No doubt you will get all manner of warnings that a disk is missing, but it wold be interesting to see what they are!

There is probably some software out there which would do this for you without removing disks but I don't know what it is!

Phil

• Proposed as answer by kariya21 Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by jamesf3 Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:41 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 10:42 PM
  • Ok, as soon as I get up the courage, maybe tomorrow, I'll do it!

Then I'll post back with results.

Tahnks a lot, Phil.

Jim

Thursday, June 9, 2011 2:22 AM