locked
WHS forgets one computer RRS feed

  • Question

  •     I have a 3 or so year old Dell desktop that I have WHS installed on.  An IBM desktop that my security cameras are connected to.  Plus Two lap tops.  Everything is set up to backup during the 2Am to 6Am time.  The camera server runs 24 hours and WHS backs it up each early morning.  The two laptops are connected to ac power and directly connected to the router.  I put both of them in hibernation and go to bed.  The next morning I check to see if everything was backed up.  For about the last two months, everything was.  Now, for some reason WHS has forgot one of the laptops.  After 5 days of not backing it up, the server still states the system is healthy.  BUT, if I re-start WHS at that time, it warns me that this one laptop has not been backed up in 5 days.(no kidding WHS, why didn't you back it up?)
       It makes me wonder what went wrong with WHS and why it forgets this one laptop.  Checking the laptop, it is still configured to be backed up in the middle of the night.
       Any ideas on what is wrong?

    R.T.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 2:31 AM

Answers

  •    I will try again tonight and see if the single laptop backs up.  Then Friday night I will try with both and see what happens.

      Yes, I know where the "wake this computer for backup" can be found.

    R.T.
    • Marked as answer by R.T._CAT Wednesday, October 8, 2008 11:21 AM
    Friday, October 3, 2008 1:03 AM

All replies

  • R.T._CAT said:

        I have a 3 or so year old Dell desktop that I have WHS installed on.  An IBM desktop that my security cameras are connected to.  Plus Two lap tops.  Everything is set up to backup during the 2Am to 6Am time.  The camera server runs 24 hours and WHS backs it up each early morning.  The two laptops are connected to ac power and directly connected to the router.  I put both of them in hibernation and go to bed.  The next morning I check to see if everything was backed up.  For about the last two months, everything was.  Now, for some reason WHS has forgot one of the laptops.  After 5 days of not backing it up, the server still states the system is healthy.  BUT, if I re-start WHS at that time, it warns me that this one laptop has not been backed up in 5 days.(no kidding WHS, why didn't you back it up?)
       It makes me wonder what went wrong with WHS and why it forgets this one laptop.  Checking the laptop, it is still configured to be backed up in the middle of the night.
       Any ideas on what is wrong?

    R.T.


    First thing I would try is running chkdsk /r on each drive in that laptop.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 2:37 AM
    Moderator
  • Running chkdsk on all partitions of the client as Kariya21 suggest might fix your problem, at least if you have failed backups. If this doesn't help:

    Please also check the WHS console, Computers and Backup Tab, Backups for this client. If you have failed backups click details on any of the failed backups to get an indication of the cause. If there are no failed backups please try and reconfigure backup from the WHS console, or reinstall Connector software from http://yourserver:55000.

    If there are failed backups please try and run a manual backup. If this also fails please check the most recent backup logs on the client PC and on your WHS (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs).
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 9:18 AM
    Moderator
  • Kariya21,
      I did the chkdsk /r and only had one small problem of a picture file being rebuilt.  Could not check for BU last night due to a scheduled power outage from the power company.


    brubber,
      No failed backups.  Have checked the configuration and looks OK.  No problem with a manual back up.   I will try the reinstall of the connector software later today.  Have to get out of here and get to work.

    R.T.

     

    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:35 AM
  • R.T._CAT said:

    Kariya21,
      I did the chkdsk /r and only had one small problem of a picture file being rebuilt.  Could not check for BU last night due to a scheduled power outage from the power company.


    brubber,
      No failed backups.  Have checked the configuration and looks OK.  No problem with a manual back up.   I will try the reinstall of the connector software later today.  Have to get out of here and get to work.

    R.T.

     



    OK, if there are no failed backups reconfigure backup or reinstall connector will probably do the trick. No failed backup means it simply doesn't run the backup for some reason.

    Also please make sure the system is not "off" but set to standby, hibernate or on during backup window.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:41 AM
    Moderator
  •    Well, everything listed has been done.  WHS did not back up this one laptop.  Yes, it was pluged in, wired to the router, set to hibernate, configured in WHS to be backed up, still did not work.  If you right click on the task bar icon there is a check mark next to "wake this computer for backup."

    R.T.
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 11:01 AM
  • Hmm. No apparent logic in this one.

    1. Sure the laptop is connected to power? 

    2. What about increasing the length of the backup window (say midnight to 8 AM)?

    3. Anything in the backup logs on the server? Remote Desktop to server, Explorer, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs.

    4. Do you find any recent backup logs on the client (also C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs)?

    5. Any (error) messages in the System or Homeserver Eventlogs on the server? (Remote Desktop to server, then Start, Run, Type eventvwr.msc and Hit Enter)?

    6. Try and check / uncheck "wake this computer for backup"

    • Edited by brubberModerator Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:13 PM one more suggestion
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:11 PM
    Moderator
  • What happens if you try a manual backup of the laptop?  Any errors?
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 7 drives totaling about 3.15 tbs.
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 12:03 AM
  •    Manual backup works fine, no problems.



    1.  Yes, connected to power

    2.  Will try tonight.

    3.  Lots of "stuff" there.  Not sure as to what to look for.

    4.  About the same as 3.

    5.  Yes there is an error in the log.  But  it states:  error  9/30/08  9:19Pm  Homeserver backup event #266  User N/A  computer  server-rt   That does not add up due to the fact I was not backing anything up at 9:19pm.   ???

    6.  Done.

    Confused,

    R.T.
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 1:30 AM
  •    Well, WHS decided to back up this unit last night about 2:15Am.  Can not say what changed to make this happen.  Will continue to check and see if BUs continue.  The only difference with the "set up" was the other laptop was not connected last night.  We will see what happens next. . . . .

    R.T.
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 11:03 AM
  • R.T._CAT said:

       Well, WHS decided to back up this unit last night about 2:15Am.  Can not say what changed to make this happen.  Will continue to check and see if BUs continue.  The only difference with the "set up" was the other laptop was not connected last night.  We will see what happens next. . . . .

    R.T.

    Most likely

    6. Try and check / uncheck "wake this computer for backup"

    If it happens to you again I would try this one first.

    EDIT: Now let's hope it will keep working when both systems are connected. If not I suggest you submit a bug report on Windows Home Server Connect Feedback site so WHS team can have a look at this one. If you do please post link to your bug report here.
    • Edited by brubberModerator Thursday, October 2, 2008 12:12 PM See edit note in post
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 12:07 PM
    Moderator
  •  

    The uncheck "wake this computer for backup" Brubber is referring too can be accessed form the WHS icon.

    Right-click on the WHS icon in the taskbar "Wake This Computer for Backup" and check that option.


    Richard A Miller. Media Center MVP
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 7:04 PM
  •    I will try again tonight and see if the single laptop backs up.  Then Friday night I will try with both and see what happens.

      Yes, I know where the "wake this computer for backup" can be found.

    R.T.
    • Marked as answer by R.T._CAT Wednesday, October 8, 2008 11:21 AM
    Friday, October 3, 2008 1:03 AM
  • Well, anyone's best guess why this has decided to work now.  After a few days, WHS is now backing up everything like it should.  So this can be considered as closed.

    Thanks for all the info.

    R.T.
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 11:24 AM