none
Python hangs when debugging in Visual Studio 2015

Question

• Hello!

I'm running vs 2015 on win 7 with CPython 2.7.9 installed in c:\python27.

I have a very simple program.  When I run it in debug mode (just hit the start arrow), Python starts up but just hangs there forever.  I don't have any breakpoints or anything.  When I run it w/o debugging (Debug->Start without Debugging) it works just fine. I've never used Python in any Visual Studio product before, is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

Code:

""" This is a test """

for i in range(1,10):
        print i

Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Joe Sheridan,

>>I'm running vs 2015 on win 7 with CPython 2.7.9 installed in c:\python27.

Since this issue is related to the Python, as far as I know, it also has his own support site here:

https://www.python.org/about/help/

If possible, you could post this issue in above site, so we could know the detailed requirement like developing/debugging the specific apps.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, July 24, 2015 6:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Joe Sheridan,

>>I'm running vs 2015 on win 7 with CPython 2.7.9 installed in c:\python27.

Since this issue is related to the Python, as far as I know, it also has his own support site here:

https://www.python.org/about/help/

If possible, you could post this issue in above site, so we could know the detailed requirement like developing/debugging the specific apps.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, July 24, 2015 6:22 AM
  • Ok, I can do that. The reason I posted it here is because debugging works with all the other python tools I have, just not with Visual Studio.
    Friday, July 24, 2015 6:21 PM
  • Thanks for your friendly response, Joe Sheridan!

>>The reason I posted it here is because debugging works with all the other python tools I have, just not with Visual Studio.

Sorry for that we couldn't install the third party tool in our side, but one idea is that you could check that whether all default VS language projects have the same issue, for example, the specific language C#/VB apps, if others projects work well in VS2015, at least, we could know that it is not the VS debugger tool's issue.

If all apps have the same issue, please run your VS in safe mode, so we could know that whether it is related to the extension tools/add-ins.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241278.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

But if just the Python apps have this issue, as my previous suggestion, we'd better discuss this issue with the Python experts.

Thanks,

Jack

Saturday, July 25, 2015 4:15 AM