Headings in wrong language RRS feed

• Question

• I've just had to reinstall my UK MS Money 2005 due to transferring to a new computer but the headings have appeared in French although the rest of the text, accounts etc are in English. Anyone know how to correct this?

Thanks

Mike

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 11:00 PM

Answers

• I suspect something is hanging around. If you can open a command window, and get to

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\

you could try this command:

Find "Accueil" surf*.*

I am suspecting a file called surf.mar. If you specify *.* instead of surf*.*, it will search more files, but will take longer. It seems to me, that if you found that word anywhere other than a browser cache, it is probably where the French headings are coming from.

One way around this would be maybe to again uninstall Money. See if the surf.mar still exists, and then delete it and the folder that contains it. Then reinstall.

Another would be to reinstall Money into a different folder than the default.

I am not sure how much detail I should try to get into as to how to search etc. You may already know how do do that. You may have a friend who can help you with that. You may not feel like tracking further at this point.

For finding files and contents, there is a nice program called Agent Ransack. Don't let the name worry you. If you install that, I could give you things you could do with that in mind. For example, telling Agent Ransack to search every file on your computer for that word is easy, but it would take time. So let it work overnight. In the morning, you would have your candidate culprits.

EDIT: I see I also have a copy of surf.mar in the virtual store.

That would be in this folder

%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\

for you.

Thursday, March 22, 2018 1:50 AM

All replies

• Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:54 AM
  • All Windows location settings are correct and it affects no other programs. In fact it doesn't affect much of Microsoft Money, just the headings.

The install was from the original CD but the change happened once I ran the patch called Money 2005 QFE#2 for UK Users (1105 patch) which can be found at http://moneymvps.org/faq/article/649.aspx

http://anotherday.me.uk/stuff/msmoney.PNG

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 4:23 PM
  • In Windows 10, open File Explorer. You can do that with <WindowsKey>+E. Into the box, paste the following string:

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\Works\

if using a 64-bit version of Windows, and this if using a 32-bit Windows install:

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\Works\

It will then show some bitmap files, and it will show a mny*.aw file.

What file does it find? MNYUKEN.AW is what is expected for a UK version.

Actually, in any case, regardless of what file is shown, I think the cure would be to

1. uninstall Money. (that does not delete your Money *.mny and *.mbf files)
    2. Re-download the install file from the link you cited, being careful to get the UK version
    3. Install Money by running the downloaded file.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 5:11 PM
  • I opened %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\Works\  and found the MNYUKEN.aw file so it is definitely the UK version.

I've followed the cure you suggested above even rebooting the machine between uninstalling the program and reinstalling the program but to no avail. I can only think that I may have clicked on a French patch for Microsoft Money at some point and it has changed something in the registry which survives a reinstall of the program.

It's no great problem as its only the titles that are in French and I have used it for such a long time that I know where everything is but it would have been nice to get it right.

I've had a bit of a look in the registry regarding entries for Money but haven't seen anything that relates to a language setting but if anyone knows any different, I would be glad to hear about it,.

Many thanks

Mike

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 10:54 PM
  • I suspect something is hanging around. If you can open a command window, and get to

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\

you could try this command:

Find "Accueil" surf*.*

I am suspecting a file called surf.mar. If you specify *.* instead of surf*.*, it will search more files, but will take longer. It seems to me, that if you found that word anywhere other than a browser cache, it is probably where the French headings are coming from.

One way around this would be maybe to again uninstall Money. See if the surf.mar still exists, and then delete it and the folder that contains it. Then reinstall.

Another would be to reinstall Money into a different folder than the default.

I am not sure how much detail I should try to get into as to how to search etc. You may already know how do do that. You may have a friend who can help you with that. You may not feel like tracking further at this point.

For finding files and contents, there is a nice program called Agent Ransack. Don't let the name worry you. If you install that, I could give you things you could do with that in mind. For example, telling Agent Ransack to search every file on your computer for that word is easy, but it would take time. So let it work overnight. In the morning, you would have your candidate culprits.

EDIT: I see I also have a copy of surf.mar in the virtual store.

That would be in this folder

%LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles\

for you.

Thursday, March 22, 2018 1:50 AM
  • Thanks for your help, it is now sorted.

It was the one in the virtual store that was causing the problem so I deleted it and reinstalled the program and all is well.

Agent Ransack is very good; it managed to find all instances of that in my C drive within about 3 seconds.

Thanks again.

Thursday, March 22, 2018 3:25 PM
  • Another possible location to check is %localappdata%\Microsoft\Money\17.0\Webcache

Do you have a folder named "FiSku"? If so, the patch file that you ran is the cause. Uninstalling and reinstalling Money does not replace what is in Webcache, and the FiSku subfile is being used to modify which files Money uses.

Microsoft NEVER released a patch file that could upgrade Money 2005 to QFE2. Instead of using a patch file, delete everything from Webcache, then download and run the 2005 UK QFE2 installation file from the second sticky post in this forum. No patch file will be necessary, and any such file should be avoided.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Thursday, March 22, 2018 3:26 PM
  • Thanks for that, Bob,

Although the previous person's instructions solved the problem; I shall keep a note of this one too just in case

Sunday, March 25, 2018 3:42 PM