locked
Connector shows no server available but Shared drives work after PP1 install and connector upgrade RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have upgraded to PP1 Beta

    Several times a day the Server conector software will show grey for server not available but I can often still access the shares and remote in to the server, but not allways.

    This happens on multiple PCs and they only cure I have found is to reboot the server

     

    Anyone else having this issue

    Sunday, June 22, 2008 6:09 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Firstly, as you have PP1 installed, you should follow the steps in Ken's Post, and list it on Connect as a bug.

    It sounds as though your IP address has changed. On the Client computer, navigate in Explorer, to the Windows Home Server folder in Program Files, and run 'Discovery.exe' from there. This will re-connect your Client to the Server.

    FYI, being able to access the shares and remoting into the server, aren't connected to the Connector Console. The Console is just a 'glorified' Remote Connection' where what you actually see as the Console, is actually being presented by the Server, not the Client.

     

    Colin

     

    Sunday, June 22, 2008 6:20 PM
  • I have had a similar problem, Proir to PP1 coming out, one of my PCs lost the ability to display the console, it continued to be able to be backed up, but could not open the console or connect to the server with the RDP. I uninstalled the the connector software and attempted to install the connector from the shared drive on the server. I continued to be able access shared drives. Upon attempting to install the connector, the connector installation software was unable to find the server, and i could not reinstall the connector software.
    Upon the release of PP1, I upgraded the server to PP1, ran the connector software, it found the server and is now being backed up. It still cannot access the console.

    Any ideas?
    Tommy Puckett
    Monday, June 23, 2008 12:32 AM
  • I have a somwhat similar problem.  I upgraded to pp1.  My situation is a little different in that I had to rebuild my entire home server system due to a bad memory module. (I burned in the system and know that the hardware is all ok now, but that's a WHOLE other story).    I reinstalled/updated the standard OEM WHS then upgraded to pp1.  No problem.  I had unistalled the connector software in 2 other xp sp2 machines.( one has a static ip, the other assigned a dynamic ip).  One other I left the connector software installed (this machine is assigned a dynamic ip).

    I assigned the server a static ip, and verified I can connect from the internet via *.homeserver.com.

    The xp machine with a static ip had no problem with the connector software.  I reinstalled the oem connector and then it gave a message telling me to update it, which I did via the \server\software method. Works fine.

    The other 2 machines with dynamic  ip addresses see the server and can connect via remote desktop and via explorer. On the one machine that I uninstalled connector when I go to reinstall it, it finds the server and asks me for the password which it accepts, then gives an error stating it is unable to connect to your home server. "The following issues may cause ths problem -your home server is not powered on ...etc".  This happens on the other machine with a dynamic ip address that has the connector software already installed  when I try to connect with the console or when I go into the discovery.exe application.

    When I log into the home server via remote desktop, it shows an error message with "Windows Home Server dynamic DNS service: it encountered a problem and needs to close." (I have error reporting automatically turned on)

    I presume that is because I have a fixed IP address set up but I am not sure if this has anything to do with the connector issue, since the other connector works with a machine has a fixed IP address.

    The 2 machines with dynamic ip addresses show that under ipconfig/all they have a connection-specific dns suffix that is assigned to them (the workgroup name).  The xp machine with a static ip does not show that suffix even though it is in the same workgroup (the server is in the same workgroup).  It also obviously shows that dhcp in not enabled.  I think this may have something to do with the hosts table but I don't know enough about networking to troubleshoot any further.

    Any suggestions?
    Monday, June 23, 2008 1:42 AM
  • I figured out a solution, I entered the name and IP address of the server in the HOSTS file of the affected machine and it worked perfectly
    Monday, June 23, 2008 1:47 AM
  • CONFIRMED !!

    I did the same thing and it works on the dynamic ip address machines.

    Specifically:
    on client:
    \windows\system32\drivers\etc

    open hosts with notepad

    enter a new line with

    ip address then name

    for me it was

    192.168.1.100  server

    save and presto!
    Monday, June 23, 2008 2:53 AM
  • TPuckett99 and tbever, if you have to make entries in your hosts or lmhosts file, you have a problem with NetBIOS name resolution on your network. You should get this sorted out, as it may cause problems for other network-aware applications, not just Windows Home Server. You may want to take a look at some of the name resolution troubleshooting information Microsoft makes available on their support site here and here.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:20 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks Tbever, your solution worked for me too.  Same problem.  Just one computer on the lan (main desktop-XP Pro) not able to access the console and not able to remote to the server desktop.

     

    It happened out of the blue, no particular changes unless it was one of the MS updates on the desktop computer.

    In any case your fix worked instantantly after saving the host file (no dot xxx suffix) in "\windows\system32\drivers\etc".

    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:30 AM