Used pc followed advice, WGA tool mislead to thinking genuine. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Still have a problem with a * used (second hand) * pc. I used the WGA tool to check Windows as Microsoft advise. It said it was GENUINE (on 3/2/08), therfore I bought the pc with windows installed, now WGA says NOT GENUINE. Why? I validated windows again, and the only option is to pay £ 95.47 for WGA kit. I do not have the money. Do not have a cd with a hologram on it so cannot send in counterfieght report. Surely MicroSoft have a record of validating this instance of  windows as genuine. I cannot even contact  them. Why does the WGA tool not work consistently, WHO CAN I COMPLAIN TO ? It is so FRUSTRATING to say the least.

Darren

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0069.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Blocked VLK

Validation Code: 3

Online Validation Code: N/A

Cached Validation Code: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-DWVTG-TWQGM-379BG

Windows Product Key Hash: h5M23ofUICvtg9HdAfGPqxUcVQc=

Windows Product ID: 55274-649-9780821-23177

Windows Product ID Type: 1

Windows License Type: Volume

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro

CSVLK Server: N/A

CSVLK PID: N/A

ID: {920FD3C8-CBE4-4AA9-890A-888109DD9E2D}(3)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1

Resolution Status: N/A

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->

WgaER Data-->

ThreatID(s): N/A

Version: N/A

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 3

File Exists: Yes

Version: 1.7.18.7

WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 109 N/A

OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{920FD3C8-CBE4-4AA9-890A-888109DD9E2D}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0069.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-379BG</PKey><PID>55274-649-9780821-23177</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1004336348-1343024091-1914320947</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>SiS</Manufacturer><Model>730S</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.        </Manufacturer><Version>062710                          </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>19970715000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>F227379F0184A049</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>                  <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, April 3, 2008 5:23 PM

Answers

• Your MGA report shows you have a non-genuine, Volume License copy of Windows XP Professional installed with a stolen preduct key.  That PK (Windows Product Key: *****-*****-DWVTG-TWQGM-379BG)

has been stolen/leaked/published all over the internet:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS242US242&q=DWVTG%2dTWQGM%2d379BG

Individuals should only have either an OEM or a Retail license for Windows.  Volume Licensing is sold only to large business enterprises that purchase multiple licenses for their internal use only.

If you have a complaint, please have a discussion with the party that sold you the computer with a non-genuine Microsoft operating system installed.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:47 PM
  •  Darren8 wrote:

OK, if the product key is a fake, why did WGA validation process INITIALLY validate the operating system.

Microsoft can only block a Volume License key when told to by the VLK owner or when the key is found to be widely leaked on the internet. And even at that point, Microsoft still need to get permission from the VLK Owner so that when we block the key, we don't affect any of the company's legitimate users.

This is comparable to buying a stolen car, that hadn't been reported as stolen yet. The owner gets back from Vacation and reports the car stolen. Later on, the police see you driving the car, they stop you and take the car back to it's owner.

Is the Owner of the Car or the Police, really the ones to blame?

I am very sorry this occured, but the party that deserves to be blamed (and maybe taken legal action against [subject to the laws in your area]) is the person or company that sold you the computer.

As for getting an XP Home WGA Kit, currently a Downgrade to from Pro to Home is only available for user's in Brazil, but I tracked down the WGA Kit Program Manager and she say that on the WGA Kit order page, there should be a phone number to contact a WGA Kit Customer Service agent. She says to ask the agent if they can order the XP Home kit for you.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, April 4, 2008 11:01 PM

All replies

• Your MGA report shows you have a non-genuine, Volume License copy of Windows XP Professional installed with a stolen preduct key.  That PK (Windows Product Key: *****-*****-DWVTG-TWQGM-379BG)

has been stolen/leaked/published all over the internet:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS242US242&q=DWVTG%2dTWQGM%2d379BG

Individuals should only have either an OEM or a Retail license for Windows.  Volume Licensing is sold only to large business enterprises that purchase multiple licenses for their internal use only.

If you have a complaint, please have a discussion with the party that sold you the computer with a non-genuine Microsoft operating system installed.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 6:47 PM
  • OK, if the product key is a fake, why did WGA validation process INITIALLY validate the operating system. If the validation process had reported back NOT GENUINE I would not have BOUGHT the pc. It seems a little harsh to follow MS advice, use the MS tool, and then find MS marking the operating system as non-genuine.

AVERAGE users cannot be expected to know alot about  license types until there is a problem. Is there no way to get any detailed feedback on what happened? I would like to find someway to contact MicroSoft, and ask them WHY DID IT INITIALLY VALIDATE. Also is it too much to ask that once they validate an operating system it stays valid? What fraction of a % of profits would be lost?  I think of the money I have spent on MS products over the years, and I used to wonder why certain people hate MS. I assumed it was cranky jealously, now I am not so sure. I definitely feel like an EX-CUSTOMER dealing with a big global company which gives not a damn.

If they will not give an inch, is there no way of buying a WGA kit for xp home, not xp pro, which I might just afford ?

Thursday, April 3, 2008 10:54 PM
  •  Darren8 wrote:

OK, if the product key is a fake, why did WGA validation process INITIALLY validate the operating system.

Microsoft can only block a Volume License key when told to by the VLK owner or when the key is found to be widely leaked on the internet. And even at that point, Microsoft still need to get permission from the VLK Owner so that when we block the key, we don't affect any of the company's legitimate users.

This is comparable to buying a stolen car, that hadn't been reported as stolen yet. The owner gets back from Vacation and reports the car stolen. Later on, the police see you driving the car, they stop you and take the car back to it's owner.

Is the Owner of the Car or the Police, really the ones to blame?

I am very sorry this occured, but the party that deserves to be blamed (and maybe taken legal action against [subject to the laws in your area]) is the person or company that sold you the computer.

As for getting an XP Home WGA Kit, currently a Downgrade to from Pro to Home is only available for user's in Brazil, but I tracked down the WGA Kit Program Manager and she say that on the WGA Kit order page, there should be a phone number to contact a WGA Kit Customer Service agent. She says to ask the agent if they can order the XP Home kit for you.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, April 4, 2008 11:01 PM