recover client win7 x64 fails RRS feed

• Question

• When I restore a backup the computers freezes after several minutes.

I'm trying to restore a windows 7 x64 with the 64 bit restore.

Is it safe to try the recovery in 32 bit mode?

I have a Asus P5K motherboard with an attensic LAN.

I also have an other PC which I can use for restoring but this is cumbersome as I don't have an enclosure for the HDD.

Monday, November 14, 2011 9:52 PM

All replies

• How are you running the restore?

I restored a win 7 64 bit on the weekend, after a failed hard disk with no issue's.

Simply booted the PC of the client restore CD and followed the prompts. The only thing I did, that in theory you should not have to do, is to manually create the 100MB system partition as well as an appropriate main partition.

The only issue on this occasion was the requirement to do a boot repair after the restore. It has never been required previously but was needed this time for reasons best known to itself.

Restoring using the 32 bit option will probably not work. If for no other reason than why would Microsoft include both options if the different options were not required.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    • Edited by frogz1 Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:30 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:48 AM
  • hi frogz1,

I tried to restore a win 7 64 bit some time ago. It failed because the backup doesn't take the 100 MB system partition with it.

Is this why you manually created this 100 MB partition?

Can you explain in steps how you did this?

thnx,

Bert - Netherlands

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Hi Bert,

The backup will backup the 100MB partition if it is selected. I would suggest that you reconfigure the backup and make certain to include the 100mb partition.

WHS 2011 does create the appropriate partitions for a restore automatically but I have always manually created the partitions required using the advanced option in the disk allocation part of the wizard.

I do not know why I needed the boot repair on the last restore as the previous restores had all worked without problem. They do prompt on first boot as to whether you wish to start normally or in safe mode. I always boot in safe mode initially and then bring the PC up in normal mode afterwards.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    • Edited by frogz1 Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:30 AM additional info
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:49 PM
  • hi Dave,

Thnx for your answer.

I reconfigured the backup, but I can't see there the 100 mb partition. There is no way to select that...

Maybe this has to do with GPT. Some time ago I think I read in the book 'WHS 2011 Unleashed' that WHS 2011 can't handle GPT. Do you maybe have MBR?

The proof of the no GPT-handling is in my restore. I can't select the 100 mb partition. Besides that, there is some very strange in the restore because the stations have other letters! That is why I gave it up... I don't want to ruin my system.

But maybe, I think, when I can find a method to select the 100 mb partition, then there is a chance that automatically the stations-letters will be right and I can go on with with the restore. Do you agree of do you have another idea?

Bert

Saturday, November 19, 2011 12:53 PM
  • GPT is not supported by Windows Home Server 2011 backup, per the release notes.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:26 PM