best practices: non-WHS content in \\server\software share? RRS feed

• Question

• What are the range of opinions on use of the default \\whs\software share for storage of non-WHS content? I have lots of this kind of stuff but I've kept it on a client. Now that client is aging and soon to move down the food chain here. So I was considering moving all of that content to WHS. Does WHS assume that everything in the \software share is WHS content? Would a similar folder in \public make more sense for all non-WHS software components? Is it safe to assume that WHS components expect WHS stuff to be precisely in \software rather than, say \software\whs?

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:15 PM

Answers

• You must leave the folders and files that are present in the software share exactly where they are, but like Ken says you can add new folders, but I prefer to leave it alone and rather create a new share called Applications or even Programs Files.
    HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    • Marked as answer by Dick Watson Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:24 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:46 PM
  • ... At the risk of not sounding like a WHS cheerleader, I know it's my server and all, but I generally leave this forum thinking that virtually everything I do with it is either unsupported or an EULA violation or both.
    Yes, and I don't help that, do I? :)

No, any file you like can be placed there; only the files that are there when you unbox and initially set up your folder are scrosanct. I have quite a few GB of stuff under \\server\software. HP places their own client software in the Home Server Connector Software folder, in an OEM folder.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Dick Watson Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:26 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:42 PM

All replies

• It's your server; you can put whatever you like there. Just leave the default folders and files that Windows Home Server has placed there alone; moving/renaming/deleting them will cause problems later.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:19 PM
  • So should I put whatever I like there or should I leave it alone so as not to cause problems later?

Yes, I generally expect that renaming the folder itself or moving contents might prove problematic. But what of adding stuff to this folder? Does WHS consider the folder and its entire contents sacred and subject to whatever they want to do with it all or do they just consider the stuff THEY put there sacred?

What does HP do with this folder? Do they put their own stuff in it? Client stuff? WHS Add-Ins?

If I put things in \\whs\software that are not WHS Add-Ins, will this confuse WHS?

At the risk of not sounding like a WHS cheerleader, I know it's my server and all, but I generally leave this forum thinking that virtually everything I do with it is either unsupported or an EULA violation or both.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:44 PM
  • You must leave the folders and files that are present in the software share exactly where they are, but like Ken says you can add new folders, but I prefer to leave it alone and rather create a new share called Applications or even Programs Files.
    HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    • Marked as answer by Dick Watson Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:24 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:46 PM
  • ... At the risk of not sounding like a WHS cheerleader, I know it's my server and all, but I generally leave this forum thinking that virtually everything I do with it is either unsupported or an EULA violation or both.

No, any file you like can be placed there; only the files that are there when you unbox and initially set up your folder are scrosanct. I have quite a few GB of stuff under \\server\software. HP places their own client software in the Home Server Connector Software folder, in an OEM folder.

• Marked as answer by Dick Watson Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:26 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:42 PM
    I'm leaning toward the new share or new folder in \\whs\Public\. It seems redundant to have two places with software like this but my folder structure already has a whs folder so it would seem odd having the whs stuff both in \\whs\Software\ and in \\whs\Software\non-WHS\Microsoft\WHS or something like that. I guess there are probably comprimises either way but it also sound like there is already precedent for sharing \\whs\Software so they will be unlikely to break it.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:24 PM
  • everything I do with WHS is either unsupported or an EULA violation or both.
    It does seem to be quite a common theme in this forum. I'm not sure that's a good thing, but if it works…
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:26 PM