Problem with Gifs on Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, to anyone who may help!

I'd like to know if anyone can figure out why this is happening for me.
    I'm using Windows 8, and after my hard drive blew out, I went and got another, also Windows 8. In the first one, I could find a .gif file, save it, and the next day, when I looked at it, it would move.
    Now, still using Windows 8 on a new, "better" hard drive, I can see all the gifs on a webpage-- tumblr, for example-- but if I save one to my computer as a .gif file, it will only be seen as moving in my pictures folder until I turn off the computer and then look the next day.
    The pictures will no longer be moving, but perpetually frozen there as if taunting me.
    "I'm supposed to be moving, but I'm noooooooot".
    (They don't actually say that of course, but you know.)
    Does anyone know why this is happening?
    • Moved by Mike Feng Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:12 PM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:27 PM

Answers

• This is not really a C# question. That being said, I did do some looking into this as far as writing a gif driver for the preview program on windows a while back. As of Windows Vista, Microsoft removed support for animated gifs in their 'preview' photo program. If you associate internet explorer (or another, superior browser) with gifs, then you can see them animate.

What probably happened is you had the preview thing associated with a different program (something other than photo and fax viewer or whatever its called now) before your hard drive died.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:17 PM

All replies

• This is not really a C# question. That being said, I did do some looking into this as far as writing a gif driver for the preview program on windows a while back. As of Windows Vista, Microsoft removed support for animated gifs in their 'preview' photo program. If you associate internet explorer (or another, superior browser) with gifs, then you can see them animate.

What probably happened is you had the preview thing associated with a different program (something other than photo and fax viewer or whatever its called now) before your hard drive died.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Hi Ludmeister,

Please post your question in the Windows 8 forum here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8

Thanks,

Zoli

(Do I understand correctly that your problem is that animated GIF files stop being animated after a restart of your Windows 8?)

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:58 PM