none
Status of "move thread" problems? RRS feed

• Question

• There have been several threads here about users losing track of their thread because it got moved.  I've been avoiding posting a note before moving a thread because the alert contains a bad link.  And avoiding moving altogether after I found out it disappears from the user's My Threads page.

What's the current status?
    Hans Passant.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 7:54 PM

Answers

• The "disappearance from my threads" problem should be resolved in our April release, near the end of this month.

In either April or May release we should be leaving a trail so that you'll get 301 redirected from old thread locations to their new locations for move/merge...
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh
    Monday, April 6, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Just to get a better understanding of the bug.... If a post is moved before being replied to, does the alert get the correct link?
    I seem to understand that the bug involves two parts:
    1. Reply and then move the thread causes the alert to the old location to fail with a 404.
    2. Move any thread and the user can't find the thread in "My Threads" no matter what.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator

Correct on #1 and #2. New alerts once a thread has been moved will get the correct links.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 10:23 PM

All replies

• The "disappearance from my threads" problem should be resolved in our April release, near the end of this month.

In either April or May release we should be leaving a trail so that you'll get 301 redirected from old thread locations to their new locations for move/merge...
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh
    Monday, April 6, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Just to get a better understanding of the bug.... If a post is moved before being replied to, does the alert get the correct link?
    1. Reply and then move the thread causes the alert to the old location to fail with a 404.
    2. Move any thread and the user can't find the thread in "My Threads" no matter what.

-steve
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 2:36 PM

-steve

Correct on #1 and #2. New alerts once a thread has been moved will get the correct links.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 10:23 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification, Matt. It is shame about the My Threads bit, but the users of the forums that I moderate are generally not likely to use that feature in most cases, relying instead on the alerts. So, I feel safe in moving and then replying when a move is warranted.
    -steve
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 10:59 PM
  • That's a bit beyond painful to do.  Finding the thread back is *hard*.
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 12:29 AM
  • Yo mean finding it after you've moved it? Typically I'm moving threads within a set of forums for OneCare, most often to our Off Topic folder. Traffic is currently light enough that I can find the moved post readily enough. If the thread is older in a busy forum I agree that it would be quite painful to locate after moving it.
    -steve
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 12:35 AM