Next version of Microsoft Sync Framework RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone know when the next release of Microsoft Sync and on what date?

Thanks,

Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:50 PM

All replies

• Sync Framework Toolkit (formerly v4 CTP) have just been released about a month ago. i dont think there'll be a new release coming anytime soon.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 3:01 PM
  • I am still waiting on Project Huron..............

In all seriousness, the team had put out a post at the beginning of this year to the effect that there was no chance another version would be out until at least 2012, so don't hold your breath.

Friday, October 28, 2011 2:44 AM
  • I agree that it would be nice to get some updated official word on the plans going forward from the sync team now that it looks like SQL Azure Data Sync will soon be wrapping up. Information about things like support for SQL CE 4 and SQL Server 2012, SQL CE for WP7, etc.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 12:15 PM
  • SQL Azure Data Sync is what has become of Project Huron. I wouldn't count on any new sync providers coming out soon specially with the availability of the Sync Toolkit. It's now easier to write a provider using the Toolkit than writing a full sync provider.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 12:39 PM
  • The original demos for Huron by Liam showed a "Publish/Subscribe" model to sync Microsoft Access databases.  It was easy to understand, looked really simple, and the demos were pretty cool.  Support for Access was completely dropped to focus on SQL, and that straightforward Publish/Subscribe model still doesn't exist.  SQL Azure Data Sync is close, but not it.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 5:32 PM
  • let MS hear your feature requests: http://www.mygreatwindowsazureidea.com/forums/44459-sql-azure-data-sync-feature-voting

speaking of Huron, Huron was first mentioned way back in 2008 when SQL Azure wasnt even SQL Azure (SDS if i remember it right). Less than a year later, Access was de-scoped,  so is the VS tooling support (in the Sync Fx Azure Power Pack?)  and SQL Compact gone in the first Data Sync CTP which came more than a year after the Huron vision announced. Almost 3 years later today, SQL Azure Data Sync is still in Preview mode (hopefully RTM soon). (Interestingly, the Publish/Subscribe model in SQL Replication is mature and tested and yet didnt find its way to SQL Azure thus we have SQL Azure Data Sync instead.)

Huron is a vision for cloud synchronization and the actual product realization of this vision may have changed over time.

IMHO, given the progress made so far, i wouldnt count on an Access or Publish/Subscribe or anything that resembles what was initially shown for Huron coming out anytime soon (read: in the next 12 mos). (we dont even have an Access sync provider or VS tooling support for the newer providers and even though SharePoint touted using Sync Framework, we still have to see a clear cut sample of how to do it either)

I'd say the same with Sync Fx. more than a year ago we saw a v3 which later on was renamed to V4 only to be postponed and eventually released as the Sync Framework Toolkit. i wouldnt count on a v5 coming out soon either.

there has been great progress  made so far on both Sync Fx and Data Sync products but i don't expect a new product version releases in the near future. 

again, these are just my personal opinions.

i would suggest you post your feature requests on the link above.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 1:37 PM
  • Ya, I've been following Huron/Sync Framework all the way since the early days, and I have tried out most of it.  I agree there has been good progress, but I have to say the original vision of Huron was pretty cool. 

The sync team has had to adapt with the cloud, and in my opinion, should be given more resources.  If we accept the idea that people want to sync data (in databases) between on premises and the cloud, isn't it clear that people would want to sync other data (such as files) to the cloud?  So in that direction, why not have a "Sync to Blobs" or "Sync to Tables"?  Or going further, "Publish/Subscribe Access/Excel" to the cloud?  I know... my head is in the clouds...........

Sunday, October 30, 2011 9:35 PM
  • sync to blob, sync to azure tables and the likes are in the voting list...i suggest you vote for it or add any other features you want to see in future releases.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 11:37 PM
  • Can I vote to have more than 10 votes? :)

Monday, October 31, 2011 1:21 AM